is the southwestern town in Rutland county, and is
bounded on the north by Wells; on the east by Danby; on
the south by Rupert, and on the west by Hebron and
Granville, N. Y. It is six miles square and contains
23,040 acres. It is divided from north to south by a
range of mountains, nearly through its center, which
range is flanked on the west by another of lesser
height; its most prominent mountain is Haystack, and
others are South Mountain, North Mountain and Middle
Mountain. The principal river is the Pawlet, or Metowee,
which rises in Dorset, flows across the corner of Rupert
and crosses this town diagonally from southeast to
northwest. Its principal tributaries are Flower Brook,
which rises in Danby and empties into Pawlet River near
the village, and Indian River, which crosses the
southwest corner of the town and joins the larger stream
in Granville. Wells Brook joins it in the northwest
corner of the town.
soil in the town is varied in its character, and while
gravelly loam preponderates, limestone, clay, slate,
etc., are found. The entire surface was, of course,
originally covered by a luxuriant forest. In early years
the raising of grain and stock was the leading industry;
this has since given way to more extended grazing and
later to dairying.
Charter and Settlements
town was chartered to Jonathan WILLARD and sixty-seven
others by Benning WENTWORTH, under date of August 26,
The usual reservations were made for a church lot, the
propagation of the Gospel in foreign parts and for the
benefit of the schools of the town. But few of the
original grantees ever settled in the town, and the
oncoming of the Revolution and the long controversy with
New York had the effect for a period of delaying
settlement. In 1770, there were but nine families in the
town. At the close of the Revolution, however, many
soldiers who had passed over the region during their
service, were so pleased with it that they came in and
purchased lands; often of speculators, who stood between
the original proprietors and themselves, at immoderate
Jonathan WILLARD, the principal grantee and settler of
Pawlet, was from Roxbury, Mass. Considerable of the
earlier part of his life was passed in Colchester,
Conn., and later years in Albany and other parts of New
York State; and at the time of his first visit to the
New Hampshire Grants (1760) he was engaged in the lumber
business at Old Saratoga. He selected three townships of
land, and after securing his charter, repaired to
Colchester, Conn., and informed his friends of what he
had done. For merely nominal considerations (in many
instances, it is said, a mug of flip or a new hat), he
purchased the rights of those named in the charter,
until he owned just two-thirds of the town. The other
third he was anxious to have settled, and accordingly in
the same year (1761), Simon BURTON and William FAIRFIELD
came in town. Mr. BURTON was voted fifty acres of land
on account of his being the first settler; he was
proprietors' clerk in 1769, according to the oldest
records in existence here. He lived at North Pawlet to a
good old age and died about 1810.
next year, 1762, Captain WILLARD came in with nine hired
men and several horses; they cleared several acres and
sowed wheat, returning to his home in the fall. He met
with some heavy losses and in 1764 or 1765, returned
with his family to his clearing; he was a man of strong
character and respected by all with whom he came in
contact. His sons were Colonel Samuel WILLARD and Joseph
WILLARD. Joseph had sons, Andrew, who lived and died in
town; George, who removed to Castleton, and John. Others
of the WILLARD family who lived in town were Silas, who
died in Granville, N. Y., in 1859; his brother, Dr.
James H., who removed to Ohio in 1830.
briefly alluding to some of the early settlers and their
descendants, we are indebted largely to the information
collected by Hiel HOLLISTER for his history of Pawlet.
Gideon ADAMS settled in 1770, where George KNIGHTS now
lives, or very near there; he became conspicuous and was
in the Legislature in 1778, serving in all six years,
and was town clerk and justice thirty-nine years; died
ALLEN came from Woodbury, Conn., in 1768. He was a
cousin of Ethan ALLEN and located where David G. BLOSSOM
now lives. He was an estimable citizen, of earnest
piety; was moderator of the town meeting of 1770. Among
his children was Caleb ALLEN, who came with his father
and became a large dealer in lands; gave the cemetery in
the north part of the town to the school district in
which it is situated. He died in 1804, and was succeeded
on the homestead by his son, Daty, who kept the place
until 1816. Timothy ALLEN, jr., removed to Hartford, N.
Y., in 1814. He was the father of Rev. Barns ALLEN and
Hon. Alanson ALLEN, who was conspicuous in the history
ALLEN came from Danby and settled in the town in 1815,
with his sons, Nathan and Elisha; he died in 1852.
Elisha settled on the place now owned by the widow of
Albert A. BOYNTON, and built the brick louse there. He
was a leading member of the Methodist Church; was in the
Legislature four years, two of them in the Senate, and
judge of the County Court three years; town clerk
nineteen years and director of the Poultney Bank several
years; he died in 1856, aged sixty-two.
H. ANDRUS settled on the present "town farm" in 1820;
lie was a judge of the County Court and of note in the
community. Captain Zebediah ANDRUS, from Norwich,
settled in 1784 on the present homestead of David R.
SMITH; he died in 1804. His son of the same name came in
with his father and died in 1830. Another son of the
pioneer was Asa, sen., who died in the town in 1821.
Asa, jr., succeeded to his father's homestead but
removed to Lockport, N. Y., in 1821. Rev. Lemon ANDRUS
was a son of Asa, jr.; hewas licensed to preach at West
Pawlet in 1821, and removed from the townabout 1830.
Benjamin ANDRUS, son of Zebediah, jr., settled on the
mountain near Rupert, and died in 1864. He had four sons
and one daughter, all of whom located in that vicinity.
ARMSTRONG settled in the northeast part of the town as
early as 1776 and kept a tavern where the widow of
Curtis REED now lives, for twenty-five years. His sons
were Jasper, Jesse and Phineas. The latter settled at
the village and died in 1836.
ARNOLD, from Connecticut, was an early settler, and died
in Granville, N. Y., in 1838. His son, Jeremiah, was an
early postrider and a deacon of the Baptist Church. He
removed to Wisconsin.
Elisha AVERILL, from New Milford, Conn., was one of the
prominent early settlers. He was the first captain .of
the Light Infantry and had a store near the house where
Frederick SMITH lives; he removed west in 1803 and died
in Manchester, N. Y., in 1821.
BAKER, who was so conspicuous in connection with Ethan
ALLEN and in the early stirring events of the history of
Vermont, was a proprietor and temporary resident of this
town as early as 1768. He built a grist-mill where John
MARTIN now lives, one of the earliest in town. He was
killed by the Indians not long afterward, near St.
Johns, Canada, at the age of thirtyfive.
BAKER came from Canterbury and settled in the south part
of the town in 1786, with his three sons, Ebenezer,
Rufus and Ichabod, all of whom had large families. He
died in 1811.
BALDRIDGE settled where Henry SMITH lives, in 1785. His
sons were Daniel, jr., and Edward. James, son of Edward,
succeeded to the homestead and died in 1862. Most of his
large family removed to Rupert, where they are
BARRETT came to the town in 1804 and died in 1828; he
was the father of four sons, Charles, Elijah, Elisha and
Levi. Elijah remained in the town and had a large
family; two of his sons, Charles and Merritt C., died in
BENNETT, from Canterbury, Conn., settled about 1784 near
the present residence of Evan EVANS, and raised a
numerous family. Samuel, a brother of Aaron, came in
about the same time. Banks BENNETT, of another family,
settled in 1790 near the residence of Erwin PRATT; he
died in 1829.
BETTS, of Norfolk, Conn., settled in 1783 on the farm
now owned by Willis BETTS, of Poultney. He was in the
Revolutionary War and died in 1826; John BETTS and his
brother, Selah, jr., succeeded to the homestead. The
former had a family of six sons and two daughters.
BIGART, a native of Scotland, came to this town when a
boy with his father. He kept the Vermont Hotel at North
Pawlet a number of years, closing in 1852. He became
conspicuous in horse breeding and brought out the
celebrated "Rattler." He removed to Sandy Hill.
BIDWELL settled on what was known as the John STARK
farm, in 1810, and died in 1839. His family consisted of
one son and five daughters.
BLAKELY came from Woodbury, Conn., in 1782 and settled
where Frank BLAKELY now owns; he became a successful and
respected citizen, and died in 1821.
David BLAKELY, jr., settled where his son, Walton, now
lives. He was a member of the Legislature two years and
was long a deacon of the Congregational Church. He had
six sons and four daughters. The oldest son became the
Rev. Jacob E. BLAKELY and was settled over the
Congregational Church of Poultney; he died in 1854. The
second son, Quincy, also became a minister. Dan BLAKELY,
son of the pioneer, succeeded to the homestead and had a
family of five sons and two daughters; he was a public
spirited and influential citizen and died in 1862.
BLAKELY, came from Connecticut in 1785 and settled at
Pawlet village; he died in 1845, at the age of seventy.
Seth BLOSSOM, from Falmouth, Mass., settled in the town
in 1783 and removed to Batavia, N. Y., in 1829. David C.
BLOSSOM came from Wells in 1816, and settled on the
Timothy ALLEN farm. He was the father of seven children,
of whom David G. is the only one remaining in town and
one of the leading citizens of the community.
Jonathan BRACE, of Glastenbury, Conn., settled here in
1780, where the widow of Casper LEACH lives, and was
probably the first attorney. He was a member of the
Council of Censors in 1785, but returned to Connecticut
in a few years and became a prominent man.
BRANCH was an early settler (1784) in the northeast part
of the town, near the David BLAKELY place; he died in
1822. His son, Joseph, was a prominent business man and
ran one of the early lines of stages from Burlington to
New York; he died in 1853.
Milton BROWN settled in 1815 about one-half mile east of
the village, and was agent of the cotton factory some
thirty years; was three years in the Legislature, bank
director and deacon in the Congregational Church. He
removed to Potsdam, N. Y., in 1853.
BROWN came from Stamford, Conn., and settled on the
homestead occupied in later years by his son, Gerry; he
died in 1835, after a useful life. The son, Gerry, lived
to 1864. Seely BROWN, from the same place, came here in
1780 and settled in the north part of the town. He was
an enterprising citizen; gave the site of the church at
West Pawlet to the society; built at the falls near by a
saw-mill and clover-mill. He died in 1809.
Benajah BUSHNELL was an early settler and lived west of
the village on the Alonzo SMITH place; he was an honored
citizen and died in 1814, at the age of seventy-one.
CARVER located in the northwest part of the town. He had
a family of seven children, and died in 1805 at the age
of fifty-two; his son, John, died in 1864, aged
seventy-eight; David settled where Myron SHAW now lives;
Chester L. died in the asylum for insane at Brattleboro
in 1863. The family were conspicuous for their
intelligence and educational requirements.
Lemuel CHIPMAN, who has already been mentioned in the
chapter devoted to the medical profession, came from
Connecticut in 1780 and located near where Mrs. Casper
LEACH lives. He belonged to a family whose deeds shed a
brilliant radiance on the history of the county and
State. He was the first president of the State Medical
Society and was eight years in the Legislature. He
removed to Richmond, N. Y., in 1798. Dr. Cyrus CHIPMAN,
his brother, was also a prominent figure and removed to
Michigan about 1820.
CLARK families have been somewhat conspicuous in the
history of the town. Elisha CLARK was from Suffield,
Conn., and settled in 1784 next south of the present
town farm. He removed to Orwell in 1795 and lived to a
great age. His sons who remained in town were Ozias,
Daniel, Joseph and Asahel.
Ozias CLARK was a man of great energy and activity and
an influential member of society; lived about a mile
east of Pawlet village; was deacon of the Congregational
Church forty-seven years; one of the corporators of the
Pawlet Manufacturing Company (incorporated 1814), which
operated the first cotton-mill in Rutland county, and
was otherwise prominent. He died in 1855, leaving a
family of eight children, one of whom was Fitch CLARK,
who was also a leading citizen of the town and father of
a large family; another was Robert, who kept the village
hotel several years, and also raised a large family.
Daniel CLARK, second son of Elisha, had a family of
eleven children and died in 1842. Captain Joseph CLARK,
third son of Elisha died in 1820, and none of his family
remain in town. Asahel CLARK, the other son, located on
his father's place, and died in 1859; he had but one
son, Ephraim F.
Aaron CLARK, was a native of the town, son of David
CLARK, and born in 1791; lie graduated from Union
College; was private secretary to Governor Daniel D.
TOMPKINS and clerk of the Assembly. In 1826 he removed
to New York city and was mayor in 1840-41.
CLEVELAND settled early in the north part of the town
where he passed a long life, dying in 1820. His son Asa
succeeded to the homestead and died in 1864. Another
son, Augustus, was a colonel in the War of 1812. Palmer
CLEVELAND came from Salem, N. Y., became a large farmer
and tanner He removed to Indiana in 1832.
COBB came from Connecticut among the earliest settlers
and brought his family; he died in 1798. John and Joshua
were his sons. The former lived near the village and the
latter where Josiah SHERMAN lives. John removed to
Orwell and Joshua to Vernon, N. Y. Josiah D. COBB
married a daughter of Ozias CLARK and was a deacon in
the Congregational Church from 1835 to 1847, when he
removed to Wisconsin.
A. COOK enjoyed the honor of being the first person born
in the town, the event occurring on the 22d of July,
1768. He settled near Granville, N. Y., and died in
COOK came from Sandisfield, Mass., and settled at an
early day near Sherman WEED's present residence; he was
one of the early manufacturers of lime in the town.
Mahlon, John and Erasmus D. were his sons, the latter
succeeding to the homestead.
CRAPO carne from Massachusetts about 1814, and located
where his son, Alden B., afterwards lived. He died in
1862 and was greatly respected.
CROCKER, from Falmouth, Mass., settled in the north part
of the town in 1783, and had a family of six sons and
several daughters, to whom he gave special educational
advantages; none of them resides in town. Mr. CROCKER
died in 1846.
and Ithamar CROUCH were early settlers in the west part
of the town and had families, nearly all of whom removed
to other parts.
CURTIS came from Connecticut at an early day and located
on the place occupied in later years by Robert STEVENS.
His son Aaron succeeded to the homestead, and there
during the War of 1812 carried on an extensive
rope-walk. He removed to Ithaca.
Simeon EDGERTON, from Norwich, Conn., settled in 1781 in
the town and was looked upon as one of its fathers,
having had ninety-five descendants at the time of his
death in 1809. He located on the place now owned by
Richard LANE. Five sons, Jedediah, Jacob, John, Simeon
and David, with eight daughters, came with him. He
became a prominent citizen and was inthe Legislature two
years. Jedediah removed to Moriah, N. Y., in 1803. Jacob
settled in this town and was the father of ten children,
one of whom is the venerable Jacob EDGERTON of Rutland;
Jacob's other sons were Sheldon, Hiram, Abraham, George
and David. John, son of Simeon, settled on the homestead
afterward occupied by his son Charles F.; he was town
clerk ten years from 1815, and died in 1827. Captain
Simeon, jr., succeeded to his father's homestead. He was
a deacon in the Congregational Church and held a number
of offices, dying in 1862; his sons were Porter and John
G. Sheldon EDGERTON and Charles F. were both sent to
the Legislature by their townsmen, and were influential
EVANS was a prominent soldier in the Revolution and died
in 1831. He has a number of descendants living in this
Zadoc EVEREST was another Revolutionary patriot and a
representative in the first Legislature of the State in
FAIRFIELD was the second settler in the town and as such
received a gratuity of thirty acres of land ; but he
espoused the royal cause and iris property was
confiscated and he sought refuge in Canada.
Jonas FAY passed the later years of his life here and
was an honored citizen. He was contemporary with Ethan
ALLEN and his associates and one of the founders of the
State; was clerk of the Council of Safety; clerk of the
convention of 1777 that declared Vermont a free state,
and a supreme court judge. He lived in the north part of
William FITCH was one of the earliest settlers and most
prominent citizens of the town. He was employed by the
Council of Safety to furnish supplies for the troops
raised to repel the invasion of Burgoyne. He owned the
first saw and grist-mills built at the village by
William BRADFORD, and also kept the first store in town;
the village was known on early maps as "Pitch's Mills."
He died in 1798. His children were John, Sina, Anna,
Rachel, Sibel, Abial and Margaret.
FITCH, from Norwich, Conn., was another early settler
(1784), locating where William MOORE now owns, in the
east part of the town. He died in 1809, leaving nine
children; his sons removed to other localities,
excepting Daniel, jr., who located where Lucius M.
CARPENTER lived in later years; he had three sons.
FITCH, of another family of this name, came from
Norwich, Conn., and settled in town in 1776. He became
one of the foremost citizens and exerted a large
influence for the good of the community. He had seven
children, most of whom settled in the town, and died in
1830, aged eighty-four. His son Ephraim was a prominent
citizen; was in the Legislature three years; built the
brick tavern at the village, which he kept, and also
carried on milling and mercantile business. He was
instantly killed in 1813 while cutting ice from his
wheel. His son Dorastus was long an active business man
in the village and mainly instrumental in erecting the
Pawlet Academy; was postmaster nineteen years and died
in 1860. Rev. Ferris FITCH was another son who removed
to Ohio. Captain Benjamin FITCH, another son of Joseph,
lived on the farm with his father; was a leader in the
Democratic party in early years and a very popular man;
he died in 1823. Asahel settled at the village and
carried on tanning till he removed west in 1824, and
Silas was a merchant and removed to Michigan about 1840.
GIBBS, who died in 1855, was an early settler near West
Pawlet; and Gideon GIFFORD, from Massachusetts, came in
1792; served through the Revolution; his son, Captain
Noah, served in the War of 1812 and spent his life in
GOODSPEED from Barnstable, Mass., settled here in 1790,
raised a large family, and died in 1844; his son, Zenas,
succeeded to the homestead and died in 1863.
GILES, a Revolutionary soldier, settled in 1807 near
West Pawlet; he kept a store in the village in 1816 and
died in 1838.
GREEN, from Randolph in 1815, settled in town and some
of the members of his numerous family became very
prominent. The Rev. Beriah GREEN, jr., graduated at
Middlebury College and was conspicuous in the
anti-slavery agitation; and his brother, Jonathan S.,
became a missionary.
Sylvanus GREGORY came from Suffield, Conn., in 179o and
lived in the village where Damon WHEELER now owns; he
carried on the hatter's business here; his family
comprised eight children, the oldest son, Silas,
remaining in the town through along life.
John GRISWOLD, of Lebanon, N. H., came into the town in
1792 and succeeded Rev. Lewis BEEBE as pastor of the
Congregational Church in 1793; he died in 1852. His son
Harry was town clerk here fronm 1846 to his death in
1848, at the age of fifty-two.
HANKS settled early, coming from Suffield, Conn. His
sons who located here were Oliver, Jonah and Arunah.
Oliver held the position of justice fifty-one years and
was much respected; was also in the Legislature four
years; his son Galusha settled at West Pawlet. Joseph
operated the grist-mill which his father built on the
Pawlet River, but removed to West Virginia in 1816.
Arunah succeeded to the homestead; he was the father of
seventeen children and died in 1830.
HASCALL came from Bennington in 1787, and became a man
of prominence in the town. Of his family of ten children
several attained positions of honor which they were
enabled to reach through the excellent advantages given
them by their parents.
HOLLISTER came from Glastenbury in 1781. He was in the
Revolutionary War; his sons were Ashbel W., Orange,
David, A. Sidney, Horace, Harvey, Hiel, and a daughter,
Mary. Of these, Hiel HOLLISTER spent his life in the
town as a farmer, school-teacher and merchant, and is
the father of six children. He is the author of the
history of Pawlet, published in 1867, and now lives in
Granville, N. Y.
settlers of this name were Innett HOLLISTER, who came
here in 1781 and became prominent; held several town
offices and was in the Legislature three years from
1816; had six children and died in 1844; and Elijah
HOLLISTER, who located in the northwest part of the town
in 1782; he removed to Allegheny county, N. Y., and died
HULETT came from Killingly, Conn., in 1780 and settled
about two and a half miles east of the village; he took
part in the battle of Saratoga, was an industrious man
and accumulated a handsome property; he died in 1838,
leaving three sons, Paul, Daniel and Joshua, and seven
daughters. Paul was also a large land owner and located
near the village in 1820; he had a family of nine
children and died in 1845. Daniel HULETT, jr., settled
near his father; had ten children, of whom Tobias
succeeded to the homestead; he died in 1836. Joshua
settled in the east part of the town, where lie died in
1858. Joshua, jr., also spent his life in the town.
JONES came from Plainfield, Conn., in 1790 and located
where G. W. Burt now lives; he had a family of eleven
children, most of whom left the town. Two of his sons,
Joel and Asa S., carried on woolen manufacture several
years in the mill afterwards owned by Enoch COLVIN. He
died in 1839, at the age of sixty-nine.
LEACH, from Canterbury, Conn., came in about 1780. He
was a conspicuous man in the councils of the town and
was sent to the Legislature three years. He died in
1835. His son, Lovell, succeeded to the homestead (where
Mr. YOUNG now lives), and lived to a good old age.
Another son, James, was in the Legislature in 1859-60,
and a prominent citizen ; and Ebenezer, the third son,
became one of the wealthiest men in the community.
LOOMIS, from East Windsor, Conn., in 1785, settled where
Orla LOOMIS now lives. He died in 1837. His son Gideon
located on the same farm and had six children, of whom
Orla is one.
Abner LUMBARD settled in 1784 where Charles E. Taylor
lives, coming from Brimfield, Mass., and engaged in the
cloth-dressing business; he, died in 1861, having had
six children, of whom Chester lived in the village and
was a manufacturer.
MAHER settled about 1783 where Samuel CULVER now
resides; he died 1824. His son William was one of the
first manufacturers of cut nails in the country.
MARKS came front Glastonbury, Conn., in 1785, and died
in 1857. Of their five children William espoused
Mormonism. Ira, another son, settled at West Pawlet,
kept a store and operated a starch factory and stocking
MEACHAM settled in the village in 1781, but removed to
Richland, N. Y., in 1804. Captain Abraham MEACHAM came
here in 1787, and removed later to the West.
Josiah MONROE came from Canterbury, Conn., in 1784, and
located where the widow of A. A. MONROE now lives. His
brother Jesse also came about the same time and settled
where E. S. SOULLARD now lives. The former died in 1846,
in the esteem of the community, and his son William
succeeded to the homestead. Asa A. MONROE was in the
Legislature in 1856-57. Jesse removed to Poultney and
died in 1858.
NORTON was one of the successful merchants at West
Pawlet and became wealthy; removed to Chicago about
NYE, from Falmouth, Mass., settled in 1783 at the foot
of Haystack Mountain, where James Alexander lives; he
died in 1847, his son Nathaniel succeeding to the
Stephen PEARL settled early in the south part of the
town, where he kept a store and tavern. He was in
command of the force gathered to suppress the
"Rebellion" at Rutland in 1786; he removed to Burlington
in 1794 and died in 1816.
PENFIELD carne to this town from Pittsford in 1803; he
belonged to a prominent family; had twelve children and
was deacon in the Congregational Church; removed to
Whitehall in 1840.
PEPPER came from New Braintree, Mass., in 1783, and
settled in the west part of the town. He died in 1822,
having had six children; Simeon, jr., who died in 1851;
John settled near his father; Chauncey P. located at
West Pawlet, and was a brick maker; was the father of
Moses PORTER came to Vermont in 1780 from Connecticut,
and settled on a farm of Frederick S. WEED. He was in
the Revolutionary War under General PUTNAM and won his
major's commission at Bemis's Heights. He died in 1803.
His son, Deacon Joseph PORTER, succeeded to his father's
estate, and became an influential citizen; he died in
William POTTER located at an early day where his son
Joshua now lives; he died in 1863; his son Samuel also
settled in this town and practiced medicine several
James PRATT settled in 1792 where Ervin PRATT now
resides; he came from Ware, Mass., originally, and from
Halifax to this town. He was an officer in the
Revolutionary War and one of the most respected citizens
of the town; he died in 1834. His son Ervin has also
received evidences of the confidence and esteem of his
townsmen; was sent to the Legislature in 1863-64, and
evinced a great interest in the welfare of our soldiers
in the field.
REED, from Duchess county, N. Y., 1776, settled on a
farm now owned by Daniel BROWN in the northeast part of
the town. He was a minuteman at Ticonderoga at the time
of Burgoyne's invasion. He was the father of twelve
children and died in 1840. Stephen settled near his
father and was a prominent citizen; the same may be said
of Silas REED.
REED, from New London, Conn., in 1770, settled in the
northeast part and was also a Revolutionary soldier.
REED located in the southeast part of the town and died
about 1850. He was in the Revolution.
Nathaniel ROBINSON came from Attleboro, Mass., in 1812;
he had been in the Revolution and held commissions. He,
in connection with his sons, was the first to establish
cotton spinning by machinery in this county. He died in
1841. Jonathan, his son, died in 1862. Nathaniel, jr.,
was possessed of great mechanical skill and was
machinist for the cotton factory for thirty years,
building much of the complicated machinery himself.
Ephraim ROBINSON came from Windham, Conn., in 1785, and
settled about two miles southwest of the village. He
became a prominent citizen and died in 1843, his son,
Ephraim, jr., taking the homestead; the latter died in
1857. Richard, a brother of the elder Ephraim, settled
west of the latterand died in 1838. Abel was another
brother who located in the same neighborhood.
ROLLIN located near the Frary bridge about 1800, and
carried on the tanning business; he removed to
Johnsburg, N. Y., about 1820.
Roger ROSE settled before 1770 in the south part of the
town; he was one of the delegates to the Dorset
convention of 1776, and died about 1800.
RUSH, from Schoharie, N. Y., settled in the east part of
the town and died in 1820 at the great age of one
hundred and ten years; he had two sons.
Seth SHELDON came from Suffield, Conn., in 1782 and
located half a mile east of the village; he was a
leading citizen and had a large family of children, who
removed away in later years. Captain Seth, jr.,
succeeded to the homestead and removed to Chautauqua
county, N. Y., about 1831.
SIMONDS came from Massachusetts about 1780; he was
father of a large family and died in 1821. He lived on
the BIGART place and kept a tavern there, afterward
removing to the place now owned by Ossian SIMONDS. Joel,
jr., succeeded to the homestead; was a leading citizen
and gave his nine children unusual educational
advantages; he died in 1850. Colonel Benjamin SIMONDS, a
brother of the senior Joel, was in command of the
military post in this town in 1777.
Nathaniel SMITH came here with several brothers at an
early day. He was in the Legislature in 1795-96, and
died in 1807. His brothers left the town early. Captain
Benoni SMITH settled in 1781 where Marshall Brown lives.
He was the means of bringing a large number of settlers
to the town and contributed in other ways to the growth
of the place. He built a grist and sawmill on his
premises soon after his arrival, and died in 1799. His
son, Josiah, settled where Horatio HOLLISTER lives and
was a leading citizen and the father of ten children.
Another son, Reuben, located near his father, and kept
one of the early taverns.
John STARK came here prior to 1770; was a leading
citizen and a large landholder and settled on the farm
of Mr. HAMMOND; he was a cousin of General STARK and
commanded a company in tile battle of Hubbardton; was
one of the first judges appointed in the State (in
1788). He removed to Grand Isle about 1800 and was soon
afterward instantly killed by the kick of a horse.
STEVENS came from Glastenbury, Conn., in 1783 and
located where Myron SHAW lives; was one of a family of
fourteen children, and died in 1838. His brother
Jonathan located in that vicinity and was considered the
father of the woolen manufacturing business of the town.
In 1812, he, in company with John STRONG, erected the
first woolen-mill in town at West Pawlet. In 1832, he
built a large mill on Pawlet River, which was burned
about 1850. He then removed to Granville where he
operated a mill several years and was succeeded by his
son, Robert R. He died in 1865. Another brother in this
family succeeded to his father's estate and built the
mansion now occupied by Mr. Shaw. He removed to
Granville about 1852.
STRONG came from Suffield, Conn., in 1784 and died in
this town in 1807. His son Phineas settled at the
village and carried on a mercantile business, gaining
the esteem of his townsmen; he was sent to the
Legislature two years and died in 1839. Phineas's son,
Martin D., succeeded to his father's business, was
postmaster four years and town clerk six years. He
removed to Michigan in 1854. Return STRONG, jr., also
carried on mercantile business at the village; was in
the Legislature three years and deputy sheriff several
Timothy STRONG came from Connecticut about 1810; became
a very enterprising citizen and was instrumental in
starting the breeding of Merino sheep in this town. John
STRONG, from Glastenbury, settled at West Pawlet and was
engaged in woolen manufacture. He removed to Sandy Hill,
TAYLOR was one of the early blacksmiths at the village
and followed the occupation some fifty years. He was
from Springfield, Mass., in 1780, and lived on the place
now occupied by Earl DANFORTH. He had five sons, all
brought up to the same business. He died in 1844.
TOBY came from Falmouth, Mass., in 1783 and settled in
the north part of the town. He was father of seven
children and died in 1843. Colonel Josiah, jr.,
succeeded to the homestead; held the office of justice
and was much esteemed. He died in 1863. Reuben TOBY,
from the same place in the same year, settled three
miles north of the village; was one of the first deacons
of the Baptist Church and removed to Pittsford, N. Y.,
VIETS came from Granby, Conn., in 1780 and settled in
the west part of the town; he died in 1823 and his son
of the same name succeeded to the homestead and had a
WADE came from Rhode Island in 1785 and settled near the
center of the town. He was the father of a large family
to whom he gave exceptional educational advantages; they
all removed from the town.
WEEKS, from Hardwick, Mass, in 1801, settled south of
the village and conducted a tannery more than fifty
years, the latter part of the time with his sons, Rich
and Seth B. His son Salmon carried on tanning for a time
at the village. Samuel WEEKS also come from Hardwick in
1801, spent his life and raised a large family in the
WELCH, from Norwich, Conn., was one of the earliest
settlers in the town and located on the present town
farm; he removed to Mendon, N. Y., in 1822.
WHEDON, one of the substantial citizens of the town,
came here from Connecticut in 1787, locating where John
AYRES now lives. He was an enterprising man and
contributed largely to the advancement of West Pawlet,
where he erected some of the first mills in the town; he
removed to Cayuga county, N. Y., in 1815. His brother
Ansel settled south of Edmund and accumulated a large
property; he died in 1826. David WHEDON settled on the
Edmund WHEDON homestead and was an esteemed citizen; he
died in 1858. His son, David, jr., kept a store at the
village from 1843 to 1854, the latter part of the time
with Hiram WICKHAM, and removed to Albion in the last
WICKMAN, from Glastenbury, settled in the town in 1799,
and became a man of commanding influence; lie died in
1835. His son, Hiram, was town clerk many years and a
director in the Battenkill Bank.
an earlier page, we have briefly alluded to Jonathan
WILLARD, one of the proprietors of the town. Of his
sons, Colonel Samuel and family left the town and
settled mostly in northern New York. Joseph died in
1829. His son, Andrew, passed a long life in the town.
Silas WILLARD settled at the village, but died in
Granville, N. Y., in 1859.
WINCHESTER came from New Lebanon, Conn., in 1786 and
settled where Norman WINCHESTER now lives; Norman is his
son. Joel was another son, who was an estimable citizen
of the town and died in 1 846.
WOOD, from Plymouth, Mass., in 1792, located near where
Silas WOOD now lives, and died in 1836. His Son, Luther
B., succeeded to the homestead and had a numerous
family; he died in 1865.
WOOSTER, from Connecticut, settled where John WISEMAN
now lives, in 1780; he died in about 1820, leaving two
sons, Henry and Amos; the latter succeeded to the
homestead and had a family of twelve children. He died
in 1836. Samuel WRIGHT settled early in the town and
was a noted hunter and trapper. His son, Samuel, jr.,
settled near his father and became an influential man.
He built a linseed oil-mill in 1814, and removed to
Michigan about 1850.
foregoing embrace most of the names of those to whose
efforts in the early years the present generation are
indebted for the building up of the town and the
advancement of all of its varied interests. Of others
who settled inthe town of whom still briefer mention
must suffice, were the following: Harvey BAKER, who came
from Arlington about 1826, and kept a store south of the
village with Dr. Nathan JUDSON, and afterwards at the
village; removed to Oswego, N. Y. Lemuel BARDEN, who
came from Dighton, Mass., about 1814 succeeded Ephraim
FITCH in the brick hotel at the village, which he kept
until about 1830; he died in 1869. Consider S.
BARDWELL, from Shelburn, Mass., in 1834, became one of
the leading farmers of the town. Robert BLAKELY, who
came into the town about 1832, without capital, and by
close application to the woolen manufacturing industry
acquired a competency.
Jeremiah BUSHEE, a tailor of the village more than forty
years; was selectman ten years and much respected.
Horace CLARK settled in the mercantile business in the
village in 1829; was postmaster four years and a leading
citizen. Rufus P. CONANT, from Enfield, N. H., 1811,
settled at West Pawlet and was engaged in the
cloth-dressing business; removed to Wisconsin.
Nathaniel Hill, who came from New York city, lived
mostly in tire village and died in 1830; his son, of the
same name, spent his life in the village. Ashbel
HURLBUT came here in 1810 and was a respected citizen
and devoted to the cause of education; he died in 1828.
Captain James JONES, from Granville, settled at West
Pawlet, where he passed his long life. Joseph JONES, an
early settler from Greenwich, Mass., died in 1816; his
son of the same name passed a useful life ill the town.
George H. PURPLE kept a store in tire village in
connection with Reed EDGERTON, closing in 1830; he
removed to Ohio.
the war of the Revolution and settlement of all local
difficulties, the inhabitants of this town, in common
with those of other localities, turned their undivided
attention to the improvement of their homes and the
development of business. This continued without serious
interruption until the events which led to the War of
1812 created a feeling of uneasiness in this locality;
and when the war came, the inhabitants of Pawlet did not
hesitate to take up arms against their old enemy, Great
Britain. In Mr. HOLLISTER's history of the town he gives
the names of thirty-five citizens of the town who went
into the army in that struggle, several of whom held
was, of course, the chief occupation of the early
settlers; but the prosperity of the entire State
received a severe check by the remarkable cold summer of
1816, in which there was frost every month in the year
and crops were almost a total failure. There was
considerable suffering in this town; but it was greatly
mitigated by the generosity of the benevolent, who aided
their poorer neighbors.
early inhabitants made wheat--- growing their principal
agricultural pursuit for a number of years; but this
gave way to the coarser grains, which yielded more
abundant harvests; the working up of these led to the
introduction of distilleries, which, with the
manufacture of potash, received considerable attention
in this town; they were the earliest manufactures. The
growing of sheep gave a large wool product and the
introduction of carding-achines and cloth-ressing
machines followed; one of the latter was running inWest
Pawlet by Walter JENNINGS as early as 1812. Jonathan
STEVENS and John STRONG built a woolen factory at West
Pawlet in 1812, the first in town, and fuling-mills were
in operation, probably before that time at the village.
Other factories and mills have been noted in our mention
of the early settlers. There have been in all seven
grist-mills in town; the first on Wells Brook, built by
Remember BAKER about 1768; the next one at the village
about the same time, built by William BRADFORD; the next
built by Colonel Samuel WILLARD on the site of the "Red
mill" in 1783; another on the Pawlet River by Captain
Benoni SMITH ; the next built by William HANKS about
1790 near the Frary bridge; the next located near where
Smith HITT lived, built by Seth BLOSSOM, Ashbel
HOLLISTER and Safford HASCALL ; and one at West Pawlet,
built by Edmund WHEDON. There have also been six or
eight saw-mills in the town.
were trip hammers in early years on Wells Brook, by
William MAHER; on Flower Brook, by Nathaniel ROBINSON;
and on Indian River by C. S. BARDWELL, the latter for
the making of edge tools.
have been five distilleries in town, operated
respectively by Dorastus FITCH, at the village; by
Theron NORTON at West Pawlet; one by Leonard UTLEY; one
near the center of the town by John EDGERTON, and one by
a Mr. SAVAGE; all abandoned many years ago.
were manufactured in the village by Major Sylvanus
Gregory and his son, Silas, and a stocking factory was
operated by Ira MARKS. Palmer CLEVELAND & Sons
introduced extensive machinery for dressing hemp and
flax and did a large business for several years. A mill
for making potato starch was built by Ira MARKS on
Indian River about 1843. Nearly all of these
manufacturing operations have, by the changes in demand
and supply, in processes of manufacture and through
railroad communication with distant markets, been
November, 1814, was incorporated the Pawlet
Manufacturing Company, the corporators being John GUILD,
Ozias CLARK, John PENFIELD, jr., Jonathan ROBINSON,
Nathaniel ROBINSON, jr., William C. ROBINSON, Napthali
GUILD, David RICHARDSON, D. WILMARTH and Daniel FITCH.
In 1815 the company erected a large building, seventy by
thirty-six feet and three stories high, for the
manufacturing of cotton cloth. 860 spindles and sixteen
looms were employed. A store was connected with the
factory; but the enterprise failed within a few years
and the machinery was taken away, and the building
Flower Brook Manufacturing Company was incorporated in
1836 for the manufacture of woolen goods. A large
building was erected at the village and ample machinery
introduced. The factory was operated by agents five or
six years, when John M. CLARK bought out the
stock-holders, ran the factory a year or two, when it
finally failed. This building was also taken down and
the machinery sold.
matters of education of the young, this town has shown
creditable interest. There have been seventeen school
districts in the town; but at the present time there are
only fifteen and schools kept in but eleven of these. A
commodious brick edifice was erected near the village
for the establishment of a grammar school and the higher
branches were taught there until 1845, when the building
was burned. Among its preceptors were Messrs. BARBER,
SMITH, MEEKER, Ira M. ALLEN, Mervin ALLEN, John STUART
and Lamson MINER. When the Methodist Church on the hill
was vacated by the society in 1854 it was fitted up for
an academy, with Rev. Jason F. WALKER as its first
principal. The present academy was erected about 1869,
at a cost of $4,500, and is located at West Pawlet. This
institution has been of great value to the cause of
education. A. H. COOK is at present at the head of the
institution. About seventy-four pupils attend it, on the
First Congregational Church of Pawlet was organized.
August 8, 1781, under the auspices of Rev. David W.
PERRY, with six members. Dr. Lewis BEEBE, then of
Arlington, was the first settled pastor, being ordained
June 15, 1787. The First Church was erected about 1785,
and when this became too small for the needs of the
society, another and more commodious edifice was erected
on the hill north of the village; this stood until about
1842. At about this time the present edifice was
erected. The Rev I. W. PEACH is the present pastor of
First Baptist Church (located at West Pawlet) was
organized on the first Monday in May, 1790, by its first
pastor, Elder BROWN. In the year 1800 a church was
erected by tile West Pawlet Meeting-house Company. Elder
Isaac BEALL was settled over the church in 1801 and in
the following year a parsonage was built. This society
was dissolved in 1831.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Pawlet was organized in
1826, though a class was in existence before the
beginning of the present century. The society was
organized with about one hundred members, by Rev. Daniel
BRAYTON. At about the same time the brick church was
erected near the cemetery. In 1853 the present structure
was built at a cost of $5,000, and the society is
flourishing. Rev. F. CAMERON is the present pastor.
Second Baptist Church in the town was organized in 1826.
This society owed its origin to the fact that tile First
Baptist Church (from which its first members came) had
not for years been in fellowship with any other body.
About the year 1848 the organization dissolved and in
1852 the present society was organized under the
auspices of Elder A. WAIT. The church was built the same
year and was used until 1880, when it was burned, and
the present edifice erected in 1881. The society is at
present ministered to by Rev. A. G. CHICK, of Hebron, N.
Y., who preaches on Sabbath afternoons.
Methodist Church. --This society was organized in 1832,
on Pawlet Mountain. It continued in existence about
twenty-three years, when it was dissolved on account of
the removal of many of its prominent members.
1831, a society called the Church of the Disciples was
formed under the guidance of Elder Worden P. REYNOLDS.
In 1847, they built a church at West Pawlet where
meetings have been held since, but not with regularity.
Welsh residents of this town have a Presbyterian society
and erected a church in 1882. A preacher from Granville
ministers to the congregation. Another society composed
of this nationality is Congregational in creed and have
services in the academy.
the early physicians in this town we may mention Eliel
TODD and Abishai MOSELEY, who were probably the first.
Dr. Jonathan SAFFORD succeeded them, coming from
Bennington in 1793; he continued in successful practice
until his death in 1821. He had a large family. Drs.
Lemuel, and Cyrus CHIPMAN were the first physicians in
the south part of the town and were eminent in their
profession; both removed from the town. Dr. John
SARGENT, from Mansfield, Conn., came into this town in
1798, as the successor of Lemuel CHIPMAN and became
distinguished in practice; he was the first president of
the first Rutland County Medical Society; was captain of
the Light Artillery of 1802 and promoted to the rank of
colonel; was in the Legislature in 1803; died in 1843.
Dr. John SARGENT, jr., practiced several years here and
in adjoining towns. Dr. Samuel POTTER practiced here
and in Wells several years at an early date and was very
skillful. Dr. Warren A. COWDRY practiced here in 1815;
removed to Leroy, N. Y., and espoused Mormonism. Dr.
John L. CHANDLER was here for a time, and Dr. James H.
WILLARD practiced here a few years ago and removed to
Ohio in 1830. Isaac MONROE, Aaron GOODSPEED, Charles
HOUGHTON, Phineas STRONG, jr., all practiced here for
longer or shorter periods. Dr. Rensselaer G. MONROE came
from Granville in 1853 and practiced until 1866 at West
Pawlet; he removed to Rutland. Dr. A. Sidney HOUGHTON
came from Ellisburg, N. Y., in 1844 and settled at the
village where he practiced many years; he was in the
Legislature in 1861-62.
present physicians are Drs. Warren B. SARGENT and H. L.
MANCHESTER. The former is a son of Dr. John SARGENT and
was born in June, 1803, in this town. He studied with
the Vermont Academy of Medicine as it was then styled,
and with private practitioners; received his diploma
November 14, 1825; began practice in Michigan in 1827
and came to Pawlet in 1830. He has been very successful
in his profession and enjoys the unqualified confidence
of the community.
H. L. MANCHESTER was born in Hampton, Washington county,
N. Y., December 28, 1855; was educated at Castleton
Seminary and studied medicine with Dr. WAKEFIELD, of
Fairhaven, and in the University of New York, graduating
in 1879. He began practice in Pawlet in June, 1879.
J. B. GILMAN, of West Pawlet, was born in February,
1852, in Salem, Washington county, N. Y.; studied three
years with Dr. Leroy Mclean, of Troy; was two years in
the Albany Medical College and graduated at the
University of Vermont; was given his diploma in June,
1884; came to Pawlet in June, 1885.
legal profession in this town in early years was
represented by such then as Jonathan BRACE, Israel
SMITH, Noah SMITH and Truman SQUIER. Jonathan BRACE was
a conspicuous citizen and an able lawyer; but returned
to Connecticut in a few years. Israel SMITH removed to
Rutland and Noah SMITH to Bennington. Truman SQUIER
removed to Manchester after some twenty years practice
here. Daniel CHURCH practiced law here for a time, as
did also Nathaniel HUNT and Nathaniel HAMBLIN, both of
whom removed to Ohio. Nathaniel HARMON was one of the
leading lawyers of the county and practiced in this town
more than forty years. He might have held high office,
but his tastes did not lead him into the political
field. He died in 1845. Dr. Oliver L. HARMON was his
son, and George W., another son, became an attorney and
removed to Bennington.
POTTER, born September 1, 1823, was educated at Union
College. He studied law with George W. HARMON and was
admitted to practice in 1847; since that date he has
been in successful business in Pawlet.
BROMLEY was in practice in Pawlet a number of years and
with him D. W. BROMLEY, born July 20, 1837, studied the
profession. He was admitted in March, 1859. His failing
health has forced him to relinquish active practice.
Town Officers. -- Town clerk, O. BUSHEE; treasurer, F.
S. WEED; selectmen, M. C. JONES, M. BROWN and D. W.
BROMLEY; constable and collector, E. I. VAIL; second
constable, Wayland JOHNSON; listers, L. JOHNSON, Olin
PARRIS, J. M. SHAW; auditors, A. S. WHITCOMB, D. W.
BROMLEY, S. S. BROWN; trustee, Fayette POTTER; fence
viewers, James GOODSPEED, Frank, VAIL, Arthur TAYLOR;
town grand jurors, George KNIGHT, George W. BEECHER;
inspector of leather, W. B. MILLER; pound-keeper, George
W. KNIGHT; surveyor of wood and shingles, Orla LOOMIS;
town agent, Leonard JOHNSON; superintendent of schools,
Helen M. BROMLEY.
following figures show the population of this town at
the different dates given: 1791, 1,458; 1800, 1,938;
1810, 2,233; 1820, 2,155; 1830, 1,965; 1840, 1,748;
1850, 1,843; 1860, 1,559; 1870, 1,505; 1880, 1,698.
In the Rebellion
town was represented in nearly every organization that
went out of the State to aid in suppressing the Southern
Rebellion, and in many New York State regiments. These
volunteers nobly sustained the patriot teachings of the
forefathers, and did their share in sustaining the
principles of the government in its time of trial. The
following record shows the names of the volunteers of
this town in Vermont regiments, as nearly correct as it
can now be made: --
for three years credited previous to the call for
300,000 volunteers of October 17, 1863. -- John ADAMS,
co. E, 7th regt.; Michael AGAN, co. G, 7th regt.; Thomas
AGAN, capt. 20th Mass.; Isaac H. ALEXANDER, co. G, 5th
regt.; Merritt C. BARRETT, Royal C. BOSTWICK, co. H,
cav.; Harvey C. BEEBE, .co. D, 7th regt.; Hiram BLOSSOM,
co. C, 2d regt.; Noble C. BOSTWICK, co, E, 5th regt.;
Charles W. BOURNE, Leroy S. BUSHIE, co. C, 11th regt.;
David BUFFARN, co. B, 9th regt.; Willard COMSTOCK, co.
D, 7th regt.; Simon E. COOK, co. C, 11th regt.; Miles H.
DELONG, Frederick FOLGER, co. E, 5th regt.; John M.
FRISBIE, co. B, 9th regt.; Robert GALLOP, co. D, 7th
regt.; James R. GIBBS, ,co. E, 2d s. s.; Sheldon A.
HALL, co. I, 5th regt.; Francis D, HAMMOND, co. I, 5th
regt.; George G. HANKS, co. 1, 7th regt.; Justin W.
HARWOOD, co. C, 2d regt.; James HOY, co. C, 10th regt.;
Charles B. HYDE, co. 11, 2d s. s.; George JOHNSON, co.
M, 11th regt.; James LACKEY, co. E, 5th regt.; Charles
M. KINGSLEY, Patrick MCGRATH, Thomas C. MOSIER, co. D,
7th regt.; John MCGRATH, co. H, 2d s. s.; Sylvanus
MCWAIN, co. D, 7th regt.; Atherton MONROE, co. H, 2d s.
s.; Asa L. MONROE, co. L, 11th regt.; Francis MURRAY,
Calvin S. NICHOLS, co. I:, 5th regt.; Edward NYE, co. B,
9th regt.; Chauncey H. ROBINSON, co. D, 7th regt.;
Charles SCOTT, John SCOTT, Amyel B. SEARLES, Oliver
SEARLES, co. E, 5th regt.; Francis R. SHAW, co. C, 11 th
regt.; George W. TAYLOR, co. B, 2d regt.; Chipman J.
TOBEY, co. H, 2d s. s.; Chester M. VAIL, co. D, 7th
regt.; Daniel D. WARREN, Ira C. WARREN, co. H, cav.;
George M. WARREN, co. H, 2d s. s.; Edwin L. WATERS, co.
C, 11th regt.; Benjamin R. WHEELER, co. B, 2d regt.;
John WHEELER, co. C, 5th regt.; James W. WHITE, co. H,
cav.; Reuben H. WILLIAMS, Henry C. WOOD, Martin P. WOOD,
co. 13, 2d regt.; Willard WOOD, co. C, 10th regt.;
Austin E. WOODMAN, co. I, 7th regt.; Stephen WOODS, co.
K, 2d regt.; Augustus L. WRIGHT, co. E, 5th regt.
under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers,
and subsequent calls. -- Volunteers for three years:
John CRAWFORD, co. C, 3d regt.; James L. HALL, co. H,
7th regt.; Daniel H. HALL, jr., co. G, 11 th regt.; Otis
W. HARWOOD, 1st bat.; Edmund HIX, 2d bat.; Chester O.
HULETT, 1st. bat.; John O. HUMPHREY, co. H, 9th regt.;
Alson L. KITCHELL, co. I, 7th regt.; William F. LOOMIS,
John MCGRATH, 1st. bat.; Wyman C. MCOMBER, co. L, t 11th
regt.; Joel A. MASON, co. I, 17th regt.; William
MCKELVEY, John PENTONY, co. I, 7th regt.; Herbert
PERHAM, 1st. bat.; Keyes POTTER, co. K, 7th regt.; Colba
REED, co. H, 7th regt.; Elbridge I. REED, 11th regt.;
Benjamin B. ROYALS, co. I, 7th regt.; James SHERIDAN,
1st bat.; James H. SMITH, co. C, 11th regt.; John SMITH,
co. G, 11th regt.; William TOWN, co. K, 7th regt.; Henry
TOWSLEE, 1st bat.; George WILLIAMS, 3d regt.
for one year. -- John CONLIN, co. 13, 7th regt.;
Baptiste LASSOR, co. G, 2d regt.; Vetal LASSOR, co. A,
2d regt.; Mark S. MOORE, cav.; Charles RUSSELL, 11th
regt.; Henry H. THOMPSON, co. D, 7th regt.
re-enlisted. -- Michael AGAN, co. D, 7th regt.; William
H. BELDING, co. G, cav.; Hiram BLOSSOM, Co. C, 2d regt.;
Noble C. BOSTWICK, co. E, 5th regt.; Justus W. HARWOOD,
co. C, 2d regt.; Charles M. KINGSLEY, Patrick MCGRATH,
Sylvanus MCWAIN, Chauncey H. ROBINSON, Chester M. VAIL,
co. D, 7th regt.; John R. WILKINS, co. E, 5th regt. Not
credited by name --Three men.
for nine months. -- Charles BARRETT, co. K, 12th regt.;
John H. BLACK, Robert F. BLACK, Adoniram J. BLAKELEY,
Andrew J. BLOWERS, Orlando BUSHEE, James W. GUILD,
Alonzo V. GUILDER, Walace S. GUILDER, Albert E.
HOLLISTER, Francis S. HOLLISTER, Willis C. HOLLISTER,
co. B, 14th regt.; Sewell F. HOWARD, co. K, 14th regt.;
Warner E. HUELETT, Eugene LITTLE, Samuel W. NELSON, Levi
PATTERSON, Herbert PERHAM, George O. SIMONDS, Judson
SMITH, Martin SMITH, Charles P. TAYLOR, Charles W.
TOWSLEY, William C. WEEKS, Ahira E. WOOD, William H.
WOOD, co. B, 14th regt.
under draft. -- Paid commutation, Seth E. CULVER, Ogden
FISHER, Levi HANKS, F. M. HOLLISTER, Levi PARIS, Michael
QUINLAN, Warren RICE, Joel. S. WILCOX. Procured
substitute: J. McD. ANDRUS, Reuben DILLINGHAM, Jesse C.
GRAY, Jacob MCFADDEN, Charles H. RUSSELL.
largest village in this town is Pawlet (or "Algiers," as
it is frequently called), which is situated on Pawlet
River near the junction of Flower Brook, a little south
of the center of the town. We have already spoken of the
early settlers at this point and many of the business
then of past years. The place was once of considerable
commercial and manufacturing importance and, it is said,
did more business in 1830 than was done at Rutland; a
state of affairs that has been greatly changed by the
influence of railroads on the latter village. Among the
early merchants were William FITCH, Joel HARMON, Ephraim
FITCH, Dorastus and Silas FITCH, Phineas and Return
STRONG, HART & JUDSON, Reed EDGERTON, George H. PURPLE,
Horace CLARK, Russel C. WHEELER, Harvey BAKER, William
WALLACE, T. J. SWALLOW, George EDGERTON, Martin D.
STRONG, David WHEDON, jr., Hiram WICKHAM, William
SHELDON, John ALLEN, and perhaps a few others.
oldest merchants at present doing business in the
village are D. H. & A. L. BROMLEY. The former began
trade here in 1853, in the building now used by Mr.
HUELETT as a tin shop. The junior member came in the
firm in 1862. W. RICE has kept a general store since
1870, and has occupied his present location four years.
M. V. B. LEACH has been in trade as a general merchant
since March, 1879; and S. S. SNELL since March, 1885,
when he bought out William MASON, who had traded about a
year. Charles E. TAYLOR started in general trade about
two years ago. D. B. WHITCOMB carries on the grocery
business and has for eleven years past; has occupied his
present location four years. O. BUSHEE is one of the
older merchants and has carried a stock of drugs and
groceries since about 1865. Q. A. PRATT began the
grocery and hardware trade, which lie continued about a
year, and changed to drugs in June, 1883. H. E. DAMON
has kept a jewelry store since October, 1884, succeeding
D. A. PARKER, who has been in business about six years.
Fayette HULETT and his brother Chester began in the tin
and hardware business in 1866; Fayette bought his
brother's interest in the fall of 1885. William B.
Miller does the harness making for the place.
have mentioned the old hotel built by Ephraim FITCH
early in the century. This was the forerunner of the
present Franklin House, and was next kept by Lemuel
BARDEN for many years; he transferred it to Deacon
GRISWOLD. Others who have kept the house were Ephraim F.
CLARK, Robert CLARK, Harrison VAIL, Chapin ANDRUS, D. B.
HULETT, who was succeeded by the present landlord, D. W.
BROMLEY, in 1867. The Crescent Valley House was
completed in the spring of 1884, by Amos G. LEACH and
John R. CARP0; it is chiefly for the accommodation of
is not much manufacturing now existing in this town. F.
HAMMOND runs the grist-mill at this village, on the site
where Ephraim FITCH built the first mill in the town, as
before related; and the saw-mill, which was an old one
when Silas GREGORY ran it forty years ago, is now
operated by S. P, ANDRUS. J. ROBINSON established a
carriage factory here in 1850, which he still carries
on. The fork handle and baby carriage stock factory, now
conducted by M. P. DAMON & Co. (Lee SIMONDS), was
established by Mr. DAMON in 1873; it is on the site of
the old Lumbard woolen-mill, and turns out in the
neighborhood of 60,000 fork handles and stock for 30,000
baby carriages annually.
woolen-factory of E. COLVIN (formerly operated by the
Pawlet Woolen Company) is located two miles south of the
village. The first company was organized in 1846 by Asa
JONES, and reorganized in 1877. About 25,000 pounds of
wool are made into cloth annually. Other minor
manufactures of the town, which may as well receive
attention here, are the grist-mill of F. S. WEED, which
is operated by Charles CLARK. It was built in 1879 by
John ADAMS, who transferred it to LEACH & CRAPO, and
then to Dwight PARKER, who sold to Mr. WEED. W. B.
WOODARD built a saw-mill in the west part of the town in
1881, and still runs it. BLAKELY's cheese factory was
built by Frank BLAKELY about ten years ago and he has
operated it since; it uses the milk of about 400 cows.
The Pawlet cheese factory, at Pawlet, is now carried on
by Carlton MARKS; it was established in 1865 by R. C.
WICKHAM and has. been successfully conducted. The Leach
cheese factory, now run by William LEACH, is in the
south part of the town and is smaller than the others
slate interest of this town is of considerable
importance. The DILLINGHAM quarry, at West Pawlet, was
opened by Howell DILLINGHAM in 1877-78;. employs about
ten men and produces sea-green roofing slate of good
quality. The BROWNELL Slate and Flagging Company's
quarry is in the west part of the town and employs about
forty men, turning out 800 squares of roofing and 3,000
feet of flagging per month. RISING & NELSON's quarries
at West Pawlet, four in number, employ about eighty-five
men. They began the business about 1876, their product
being sea-green roofing slate. The firm has also a
quarry of red slate in Granville. Hugh W. HUGHES owns
and operates five quarries in the town, which he leased
in 1878, succeeding Evan J. JONES &. BARNARD, who had
been engaged in the business about three years. George
BARNARD had bought property of Howard EVANS, who, after
Griffith LLOYD, was the pioneer in the business. Mr.
HUGHES employs from fifty to sixty men, produces the
green slate, but deals in all shades. All of the slate
industry is located at West Pawlet. (See Chapter XIII.)
post-office at Pawlet was established early in the
history of the town. Dorastus FITCH was postmaster in
1814, and George PURPLE probably succeeded him. Horace
CLARK then had the office, and as late as 1828. Then
followed Daniel TAYLOR, Porter FITCH, Martin D. STRONG,
Charles POTTER, James RICE and Orlando PUSHEE, who kept
the office from about 1876 to 1885. The present official
is C. E. TAYLOR.
Pawlet. -- This is a hamlet and station on the Rutland
and Washington railroad and situated in the extreme west
part of the town, across a portion of which the road
passes. The post-office here was first kept by Orson F.
BETTS about 1854 for a short time, and he was followed
by M. V. B. PRATT for about six years; then J. A. ORR
took the office for about three years; F. JOHNSON six or
seven years; then G. W. BEECHER until the advent of the
present official, M. V. B. PRATT, who began his second
term October 1, 1885.
& NELSON, mentioned in connection with the slate
industry, have kept a store here since March, 1874; they
built the store they occupy. James F. BRAYMER was a
junior partner the first three years. Florace JOHNSON
began general trade here nearly ten years ago. A. P.
BULL began grocery trade in April, 1882, and built the
block a part of which he occupies. M. V. B. PRATT, the
oldest merchant here, began trade about 1854 and is
still in business. George R. Pratt deals in jewelry and
fancy goods; has been in business two and a half years
and occupied his present store in October, 1885. G. W.
BEECHER and brother (D. O. BEECHER) began the tin
manufacturing business in September, 1874, the first
named being alone until 1883, when his brother joined
WOODARD kept the hotel in the large building until about
1878 for a number of years - about twenty-five. This
house is not now kept. The Nelson House is kept by F. J.
NELSON, who opened it in April, 1885; he had kept hotel
in the large building mentioned about a year previous.
of Rutland County Vermont: With Illustrations &
Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men And
Edited by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann
Syracuse, N. Y., D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF PAWLET
Transcribed by Karima