This is the southwestern town in Rutland county, and is bounded on the north by Wells; on the east by Danby; on the south by Rupert, and on the west by Hebron and Granville, N. Y. It is six miles square and contains 23,040 acres. It is divided from north to south by a range of mountains, nearly through its center, which range is flanked on the west by another of lesser height; its most prominent mountain is Haystack, and others are South Mountain, North Mountain and Middle Mountain. The principal river is the Pawlet, or Metowee, which rises in Dorset, flows across the corner of Rupert and crosses this town diagonally from southeast to northwest. Its principal tributaries are Flower Brook, which rises in Danby and empties into Pawlet River near the village, and Indian River, which crosses the southwest corner of the town and joins the larger stream in Granville. Wells Brook joins it in the northwest corner of the town.

      The soil in the town is varied in its character, and while gravelly loam preponderates, limestone, clay, slate, etc., are found. The entire surface was, of course, originally covered by a luxuriant forest. In early years the raising of grain and stock was the leading industry; this has since given way to more extended grazing and later to dairying.

Charter and Settlements

      This town was chartered to Jonathan WILLARD and sixty-seven others by Benning WENTWORTH, under date of August 26, 1761. The usual reservations were made for a church lot, the propagation of the Gospel in foreign parts and for the benefit of the schools of the town. But few of the original grantees ever settled in the town, and the oncoming of the Revolution and the long controversy with New York had the effect for a period of delaying settlement. In 1770, there were but nine families in the town. At the close of the Revolution, however, many soldiers who had passed over the region during their service, were so pleased with it that they came in and purchased lands; often of speculators, who stood between the original proprietors and themselves, at immoderate prices.

      Captain Jonathan WILLARD, the principal grantee and settler of Pawlet, was from Roxbury, Mass. Considerable of the earlier part of his life was passed in Colchester, Conn., and later years in Albany and other parts of New York State; and at the time of his first visit to the New Hampshire Grants (1760) he was engaged in the lumber business at Old Saratoga. He selected three townships of land, and after securing his charter, repaired to Colchester, Conn., and informed his friends of what he had done. For merely nominal considerations (in many instances, it is said, a mug of flip or a new hat), he purchased the rights of those named in the charter, until he owned just two-thirds of the town. The other third he was anxious to have settled, and accordingly in the same year (1761), Simon BURTON and William FAIRFIELD came in town. Mr. BURTON was voted fifty acres of land on account of his being the first settler; he was proprietors' clerk in 1769, according to the oldest records in existence here. He lived at North Pawlet to a good old age and died about 1810.

      The next year, 1762, Captain WILLARD came in with nine hired men and several horses; they cleared several acres and sowed wheat, returning to his home in the fall. He met with some heavy losses and in 1764 or 1765, returned with his family to his clearing; he was a man of strong character and respected by all with whom he came in contact. His sons were Colonel Samuel WILLARD and Joseph WILLARD. Joseph had sons, Andrew, who lived and died in town; George, who removed to Castleton, and John. Others of the WILLARD family who lived in town were Silas, who died in Granville, N. Y., in 1859; his brother, Dr. James H., who removed to Ohio in 1830.

      In briefly alluding to some of the early settlers and their descendants, we are indebted largely to the information collected by Hiel HOLLISTER for his history of Pawlet. Gideon ADAMS settled in 1770, where George KNIGHTS now lives, or very near there; he became conspicuous and was in the Legislature in 1778, serving in all six years, and was town clerk and justice thirty-nine years; died in 1827.

      Timothy ALLEN came from Woodbury, Conn., in 1768. He was a cousin of Ethan ALLEN and located where David G. BLOSSOM now lives. He was an estimable citizen, of earnest piety; was moderator of the town meeting of 1770.  Among his children was Caleb ALLEN, who came with his father and became a large dealer in lands; gave the cemetery in the north part of the town to the school district in which it is situated. He died in 1804, and was succeeded on the homestead by his son, Daty, who kept the place until 1816. Timothy ALLEN, jr., removed to Hartford, N. Y., in 1814. He was the father of Rev. Barns ALLEN and Hon. Alanson ALLEN, who was conspicuous in the history of Fairhaven.

      John ALLEN came from Danby and settled in the town in 1815, with his sons, Nathan and Elisha; he died in 1852. Elisha settled on the place now owned by the widow of Albert A. BOYNTON, and built the brick louse there.  He was a leading member of the Methodist Church; was in the Legislature four years, two of them in the Senate, and judge of the County Court three years; town clerk nineteen years and director of the Poultney Bank several years; he died in 1856, aged sixty-two.

      John H. ANDRUS settled on the present "town farm" in 1820; lie was a judge of the County Court and of note in the community. Captain Zebediah ANDRUS, from Norwich, settled in 1784 on the present homestead of David R. SMITH; he died in 1804. His son of the same name came in with his father and died in 1830. Another son of the pioneer was Asa, sen., who died in the town in 1821. Asa, jr., succeeded to his father's homestead but removed to Lockport, N. Y., in 1821. Rev. Lemon ANDRUS was a son of Asa, jr.; hewas licensed to preach at West Pawlet in 1821, and removed from the townabout 1830. Benjamin ANDRUS, son of Zebediah, jr., settled on the mountain near Rupert, and died in 1864. He had four sons and one daughter, all of whom located in that vicinity.

      Joseph ARMSTRONG settled in the northeast part of the town as early as 1776 and kept a tavern where the widow of Curtis REED now lives, for twenty-five years. His sons were Jasper, Jesse and Phineas. The latter settled at the village and died in 1836.

      Jonathan ARNOLD, from Connecticut, was an early settler, and died in Granville, N. Y., in 1838. His son, Jeremiah, was an early postrider and a deacon of the Baptist Church. He removed to Wisconsin.

      General Elisha AVERILL, from New Milford, Conn., was one of the prominent early settlers. He was the first captain .of the Light Infantry and had a store near the house where Frederick SMITH lives; he removed west in 1803 and died in Manchester, N. Y., in 1821.

      Remember BAKER, who was so conspicuous in connection with Ethan ALLEN and in the early stirring events of the history of Vermont, was a proprietor and temporary resident of this town as early as 1768. He built a grist-mill where John MARTIN now lives, one of the earliest in town. He was killed by the Indians not long afterward, near St. Johns, Canada, at the age of thirtyfive.

      Elijah BAKER came from Canterbury and settled in the south part of the town in 1786, with his three sons, Ebenezer, Rufus and Ichabod, all of whom had large families. He died in 1811.

      Daniel BALDRIDGE settled where Henry SMITH lives, in 1785. His sons were Daniel, jr., and Edward. James, son of Edward, succeeded to the homestead and died in 1862. Most of his large family removed to Rupert, where they are prominent.

      Elisha BARRETT came to the town in 1804 and died in 1828; he was the father of four sons, Charles, Elijah, Elisha and Levi. Elijah remained in the town and had a large family; two of his sons, Charles and Merritt C., died in the service.

      Aaron BENNETT, from Canterbury, Conn., settled about 1784 near the present residence of Evan EVANS, and raised a numerous family. Samuel, a brother of Aaron, came in about the same time. Banks BENNETT, of another family, settled in 1790 near the residence of Erwin PRATT; he died in 1829.

      Selah BETTS, of Norfolk, Conn., settled in 1783 on the farm now owned by Willis BETTS, of Poultney. He was in the Revolutionary War and died in 1826; John BETTS and his brother, Selah, jr., succeeded to the homestead. The former had a family of six sons and two daughters.

      James BIGART, a native of Scotland, came to this town when a boy with his father. He kept the Vermont Hotel at North Pawlet a number of years, closing in 1852. He became conspicuous in horse breeding and brought out the celebrated "Rattler." He removed to Sandy Hill.

      Jonathan BIDWELL settled on what was known as the John STARK farm, in 1810, and died in 1839. His family consisted of one son and five daughters.

      David BLAKELY came from Woodbury, Conn., in 1782 and settled where Frank BLAKELY now owns; he became a successful and respected citizen, and died in 1821. 

      Captain David BLAKELY, jr., settled where his son, Walton, now lives. He was a member of the Legislature two years and was long a deacon of the Congregational Church. He had six sons and four daughters. The oldest son became the Rev. Jacob E. BLAKELY and was settled over the Congregational Church of Poultney; he died in 1854. The second son, Quincy, also became a minister. Dan BLAKELY, son of the pioneer, succeeded to the homestead and had a family of five sons and two daughters; he was a public spirited and influential citizen and died in 1862.

      Jonathan BLAKELY, came from Connecticut in 1785 and settled at Pawlet village; he died in 1845, at the age of seventy.

      Captain Seth BLOSSOM, from Falmouth, Mass., settled in the town in 1783 and removed to Batavia, N. Y., in 1829. David C. BLOSSOM came from Wells in 1816, and settled on the Timothy ALLEN farm. He was the father of seven children, of whom David G. is the only one remaining in town and one of the leading citizens of the community.

      Hon. Jonathan BRACE, of Glastenbury, Conn., settled here in 1780, where the widow of Casper LEACH lives, and was probably the first attorney. He was a member of the Council of Censors in 1785, but returned to Connecticut in a few years and became a prominent man.

      Daniel BRANCH was an early settler (1784) in the northeast part of the town, near the David BLAKELY place; he died in 1822. His son, Joseph, was a prominent business man and ran one of the early lines of stages from Burlington to New York; he died in 1853.

      Captain Milton BROWN settled in 1815 about one-half mile east of the village, and was agent of the cotton factory some thirty years; was three years in the Legislature, bank director and deacon in the Congregational Church. He removed to Potsdam, N. Y., in 1853.

      Elijah BROWN came from Stamford, Conn., and settled on the homestead occupied in later years by his son, Gerry; he died in 1835, after a useful life. The son, Gerry, lived to 1864. Seely BROWN, from the same place, came here in 1780 and settled in the north part of the town. He was an enterprising citizen; gave the site of the church at West Pawlet to the society; built at the falls near by a saw-mill and clover-mill. He died in 1809.

      Deacon Benajah BUSHNELL was an early settler and lived west of the village on the Alonzo SMITH place; he was an honored citizen and died in 1814, at the age of seventy-one.

      Nathaniel CARVER located in the northwest part of the town. He had a family of seven children, and died in 1805 at the age of fifty-two; his son, John, died in 1864, aged seventy-eight; David settled where Myron SHAW now lives; Chester L. died in the asylum for insane at Brattleboro in 1863. The family were conspicuous for their intelligence and educational requirements.

      Dr. Lemuel CHIPMAN, who has already been mentioned in the chapter devoted to the medical profession, came from Connecticut in 1780 and located near where Mrs. Casper LEACH lives. He belonged to a family whose deeds shed a brilliant radiance on the history of the county and State. He was the first president of the State Medical Society and was eight years in the Legislature. He removed to Richmond, N. Y., in 1798. Dr. Cyrus CHIPMAN, his brother, was also a prominent figure and removed to Michigan about 1820.

      The CLARK families have been somewhat conspicuous in the history of the town. Elisha CLARK was from Suffield, Conn., and settled in 1784 next south of the present town farm. He removed to Orwell in 1795 and lived to a great age. His sons who remained in town were Ozias, Daniel, Joseph and Asahel. 

      Colonel Ozias CLARK was a man of great energy and activity and an influential member of society; lived about a mile east of Pawlet village; was deacon of the Congregational Church forty-seven years; one of the corporators of the Pawlet Manufacturing Company (incorporated 1814), which operated the first cotton-mill in Rutland county, and was otherwise prominent. He died in 1855, leaving a family of eight children, one of whom was Fitch CLARK, who was also a leading citizen of the town and father of a large family; another was Robert, who kept the village hotel several years, and also raised a large family. Daniel CLARK, second son of Elisha, had a family of eleven children and died in 1842. Captain Joseph CLARK, third son of Elisha died in 1820, and none of his family remain in town. Asahel CLARK, the other son, located on his father's place, and died in 1859; he had but one son, Ephraim F.

      Hon. Aaron CLARK, was a native of the town, son of David CLARK, and born in 1791; lie graduated from Union College; was private secretary to Governor Daniel D. TOMPKINS and clerk of the Assembly. In 1826 he removed to New York city and was mayor in 1840-41.

      Moses CLEVELAND settled early in the north part of the town where he passed a long life, dying in 1820. His son Asa succeeded to the homestead and died in 1864. Another son, Augustus, was a colonel in the War of 1812. Palmer CLEVELAND came from Salem, N. Y., became a large farmer and tanner He removed to Indiana in 1832.

      Gideon COBB came from Connecticut among the earliest settlers and brought his family; he died in 1798. John and Joshua were his sons. The former lived near the village and the latter where Josiah SHERMAN lives. John removed to Orwell and Joshua to Vernon, N. Y. Josiah D. COBB married a daughter of Ozias CLARK and was a deacon in the Congregational Church from 1835 to 1847, when he removed to Wisconsin.

      Titus A. COOK enjoyed the honor of being the first person born in the town, the event occurring on the 22d of July, 1768. He settled near Granville, N. Y., and died in 1827.

      John COOK came from Sandisfield, Mass., and settled at an early day near Sherman WEED's present residence; he was one of the early manufacturers of lime in the town. Mahlon, John and Erasmus D. were his sons, the latter succeeding to the homestead.

      John CRAPO carne from Massachusetts about 1814, and located where his son, Alden B., afterwards lived. He died in 1862 and was greatly respected.

      Josiah CROCKER, from Falmouth, Mass., settled in the north part of the town in 1783, and had a family of six sons and several daughters, to whom he gave special educational advantages; none of them resides in town. Mr. CROCKER died in 1846.

      Phineas and Ithamar CROUCH were early settlers in the west part of the town and had families, nearly all of whom removed to other parts.

      Eldad CURTIS came from Connecticut at an early day and located on the place occupied in later years by Robert STEVENS. His son Aaron succeeded to the homestead, and there during the War of 1812 carried on an extensive rope-walk. He removed to Ithaca.

      Captain Simeon EDGERTON, from Norwich, Conn., settled in 1781 in the town and was looked upon as one of its fathers, having had ninety-five descendants at the time of his death in 1809. He located on the place now owned by Richard LANE. Five sons, Jedediah, Jacob, John, Simeon and David, with eight daughters, came with him. He became a prominent citizen and was inthe Legislature two years. Jedediah removed to Moriah, N. Y., in 1803. Jacob settled in this town and was the father of ten children, one of whom is the venerable Jacob EDGERTON of Rutland; Jacob's other sons were Sheldon, Hiram, Abraham, George and David. John, son of Simeon, settled on the homestead afterward occupied by his son Charles F.; he was town clerk ten years from 1815, and died in 1827. Captain Simeon, jr., succeeded to his father's homestead. He was a deacon in the Congregational Church and held a number of offices, dying in 1862; his sons were Porter and John G.  Sheldon EDGERTON and Charles F. were both sent to the Legislature by their townsmen, and were influential citizens.

      Abiathar EVANS was a prominent soldier in the Revolution and died in 1831. He has a number of descendants living in this vicinity. 
Zadoc EVEREST was another Revolutionary patriot and a representative in the first Legislature of the State in 1778. 

      William FAIRFIELD was the second settler in the town and as such received a gratuity of thirty acres of land ; but he espoused the royal cause and iris property was confiscated and he sought refuge in Canada.

      Dr. Jonas FAY passed the later years of his life here and was an honored citizen. He was contemporary with Ethan ALLEN and his associates and one of the founders of the State; was clerk of the Council of Safety; clerk of the convention of 1777 that declared Vermont a free state, and a supreme court judge. He lived in the north part of the town.

      Colonel William FITCH was one of the earliest settlers and most prominent citizens of the town. He was employed by the Council of Safety to furnish supplies for the troops raised to repel the invasion of Burgoyne. He owned the first saw and grist-mills built at the village by William BRADFORD, and also kept the first store in town; the village was known on early maps as "Pitch's Mills." He died in 1798. His children were John, Sina, Anna, Rachel, Sibel, Abial and Margaret.

      Daniel FITCH, from Norwich, Conn., was another early settler (1784), locating where William MOORE now owns, in the east part of the town. He died in 1809, leaving nine children; his sons removed to other localities, excepting Daniel, jr., who located where Lucius M. CARPENTER lived in later years; he had three sons.

      Joseph FITCH, of another family of this name, came from Norwich, Conn., and settled in town in 1776. He became one of the foremost citizens and exerted a large influence for the good of the community. He had seven children, most of whom settled in the town, and died in 1830, aged eighty-four. His son Ephraim was a prominent citizen; was in the Legislature three years; built the brick tavern at the village, which he kept, and also carried on milling and mercantile business. He was instantly killed in 1813 while cutting ice from his wheel. His son Dorastus was long an active business man in the village and mainly instrumental in erecting the Pawlet Academy; was postmaster nineteen years and died in 1860. Rev. Ferris FITCH was another son who removed to Ohio. Captain Benjamin FITCH, another son of Joseph, lived on the farm with his father; was a leader in the Democratic party in early years and a very popular man; he died in 1823. Asahel settled at the village and carried on tanning till he removed west in 1824, and Silas was a merchant and removed to Michigan about 1840.

      Zebulon GIBBS, who died in 1855, was an early settler near West Pawlet; and Gideon GIFFORD, from Massachusetts, came in 1792; served through the Revolution; his son, Captain Noah, served in the War of 1812 and spent his life in town. 

      Samuel GOODSPEED from Barnstable, Mass., settled here in 1790, raised a large family, and died in 1844; his son, Zenas, succeeded to the homestead and died in 1863. 

      Ebenezer GILES, a Revolutionary soldier, settled in 1807 near West Pawlet; he kept a store in the village in 1816 and died in 1838. 

      Beriah GREEN, from Randolph in 1815, settled in town and some of the members of his numerous family became very prominent. The Rev. Beriah GREEN, jr., graduated at Middlebury College and was conspicuous in the anti-slavery agitation; and his brother, Jonathan S., became a missionary.

      Major Sylvanus GREGORY came from Suffield, Conn., in 179o and lived in the village where Damon WHEELER now owns; he carried on the hatter's business here; his family comprised eight children, the oldest son, Silas, remaining in the town through along life.

      Rev. John GRISWOLD, of Lebanon, N. H., came into the town in 1792 and succeeded Rev. Lewis BEEBE as pastor of the Congregational Church in 1793; he died in 1852. His son Harry was town clerk here fronm 1846 to his death in 1848, at the age of fifty-two.

      William HANKS settled early, coming from Suffield, Conn. His sons who located here were Oliver, Jonah and Arunah. Oliver held the position of justice fifty-one years and was much respected; was also in the Legislature four years; his son Galusha settled at West Pawlet. Joseph operated the grist-mill which his father built on the Pawlet River, but removed to West Virginia in 1816. Arunah succeeded to the homestead; he was the father of seventeen children and died in 1830.

      Joseph HASCALL came from Bennington in 1787, and became a man of prominence in the town. Of his family of ten children several attained positions of honor which they were enabled to reach through the excellent advantages given them by their parents.

      Ashbel HOLLISTER came from Glastenbury in 1781. He was in the Revolutionary War; his sons were Ashbel W., Orange, David, A. Sidney, Horace, Harvey, Hiel, and a daughter, Mary. Of these, Hiel HOLLISTER spent his life in the town as a farmer, school-teacher and merchant, and is the father of six children. He is the author of the history of Pawlet, published in 1867, and now lives in Granville, N. Y. 

      Other settlers of this name were Innett HOLLISTER, who came here in 1781 and became prominent; held several town offices and was in the Legislature three years from 1816; had six children and died in 1844; and Elijah HOLLISTER, who located in the northwest part of the town in 1782; he removed to Allegheny county, N. Y., and died about 1840.

      Daniel HULETT came from Killingly, Conn., in 1780 and settled about two and a half miles east of the village; he took part in the battle of Saratoga, was an industrious man and accumulated a handsome property; he died in 1838, leaving three sons, Paul, Daniel and Joshua, and seven daughters. Paul was also a large land owner and located near the village in 1820; he had a family of nine children and died in 1845. Daniel HULETT, jr., settled near his father; had ten children, of whom Tobias succeeded to the homestead; he died in 1836. Joshua settled in the east part of the town, where lie died in 1858. Joshua, jr., also spent his life in the town.

      Ephraim JONES came from Plainfield, Conn., in 1790 and located where G. W. Burt now lives; he had a family of eleven children, most of whom left the town. Two of his sons, Joel and Asa S., carried on woolen manufacture several years in the mill afterwards owned by Enoch COLVIN. He died in 1839, at the age of sixty-nine.

      James LEACH, from Canterbury, Conn., came in about 1780. He was a conspicuous man in the councils of the town and was sent to the Legislature three years. He died in 1835. His son, Lovell, succeeded to the homestead (where Mr. YOUNG now lives), and lived to a good old age. Another son, James, was in the Legislature in 1859-60, and a prominent citizen ; and Ebenezer, the third son, became one of the wealthiest men in the community.

      Oliver LOOMIS, from East Windsor, Conn., in 1785, settled where Orla LOOMIS now lives. He died in 1837. His son Gideon located on the same farm and had six children, of whom Orla is one.

      Captain Abner LUMBARD settled in 1784 where Charles E. Taylor lives, coming from Brimfield, Mass., and engaged in the cloth-dressing business; he, died in 1861, having had six children, of whom Chester lived in the village and was a manufacturer.

      James MAHER settled about 1783 where Samuel CULVER now resides; he died 1824. His son William was one of the first manufacturers of cut nails in the country.

      Cornwell MARKS came front Glastonbury, Conn., in 1785, and died in 1857. Of their five children William espoused Mormonism. Ira, another son, settled at West Pawlet, kept a store and operated a starch factory and stocking factory. 

       Captain Asa MEACHAM settled in the village in 1781, but removed to Richland, N. Y., in 1804. Captain Abraham MEACHAM came here in 1787, and removed later to the West.

      Captain Josiah MONROE came from Canterbury, Conn., in 1784, and located where the widow of A. A. MONROE now lives. His brother Jesse also came about the same time and settled where E. S. SOULLARD now lives. The former died in 1846, in the esteem of the community, and his son William succeeded to the homestead. Asa A. MONROE was in the Legislature in 1856-57. Jesse removed to Poultney and died in 1858.

      Theron NORTON was one of the successful merchants at West Pawlet and became wealthy; removed to Chicago about 1834.

      Timothy NYE, from Falmouth, Mass., settled in 1783 at the foot of Haystack Mountain, where James Alexander lives; he died in 1847, his son Nathaniel succeeding to the homestead.

      Colonel Stephen PEARL settled early in the south part of the town, where he kept a store and tavern. He was in command of the force gathered to suppress the "Rebellion" at Rutland in 1786; he removed to Burlington in 1794 and died in 1816.

      John PENFIELD carne to this town from Pittsford in 1803; he belonged to a prominent family; had twelve children and was deacon in the Congregational Church; removed to Whitehall in 1840. 

      Simeon PEPPER came from New Braintree, Mass., in 1783, and settled in the west part of the town. He died in 1822, having had six children; Simeon, jr., who died in 1851; John settled near his father; Chauncey P. located at West Pawlet, and was a brick maker; was the father of seven children.

      Deacon Moses PORTER came to Vermont in 1780 from Connecticut, and settled on a farm of Frederick S. WEED. He was in the Revolutionary War under General PUTNAM and won his major's commission at Bemis's Heights. He died in 1803. His son, Deacon Joseph PORTER, succeeded to his father's estate, and became an influential citizen; he died in 1840.

      Captain William POTTER located at an early day where his son Joshua now lives; he died in 1863; his son Samuel also settled in this town and practiced medicine several years.

      Captain James PRATT settled in 1792 where Ervin PRATT now resides; he came from Ware, Mass., originally, and from Halifax to this town. He was an officer in the Revolutionary War and one of the most respected citizens of the town; he died in 1834. His son Ervin has also received evidences of the confidence and esteem of his townsmen; was sent to the Legislature in 1863-64, and evinced a great interest in the welfare of our soldiers in the field.

      Simeon REED, from Duchess county, N. Y., 1776, settled on a farm now owned by Daniel BROWN in the northeast part of the town. He was a minuteman at Ticonderoga at the time of Burgoyne's invasion. He was the father of twelve children and died in 1840. Stephen settled near his father and was a prominent citizen; the same may be said of Silas REED. 

      Jedediah REED, from New London, Conn., in 1770, settled in the northeast part and was also a Revolutionary soldier. 

      Isaac REED located in the southeast part of the town and died about 1850. He was in the Revolution.

      Captain Nathaniel ROBINSON came from Attleboro, Mass., in 1812; he had been in the Revolution and held commissions. He, in connection with his sons, was the first to establish cotton spinning by machinery in this county. He died in 1841. Jonathan, his son, died in 1862. Nathaniel, jr., was possessed of great mechanical skill and was machinist for the cotton factory for thirty years, building much of the complicated machinery himself.

      Captain Ephraim ROBINSON came from Windham, Conn., in 1785, and settled about two miles southwest of the village. He became a prominent citizen and died in 1843, his son, Ephraim, jr., taking the homestead; the latter died in 1857. Richard, a brother of the elder Ephraim, settled west of the latterand died in 1838. Abel was another brother who located in the same neighborhood.

      Ebenezer ROLLIN located near the Frary bridge about 1800, and carried on the tanning business; he removed to Johnsburg, N. Y., about 1820.

      Major Roger ROSE settled before 1770 in the south part of the town; he was one of the delegates to the Dorset convention of 1776, and died about 1800.

      George RUSH, from Schoharie, N. Y., settled in the east part of the town and died in 1820 at the great age of one hundred and ten years; he had two sons.

      Captain Seth SHELDON came from Suffield, Conn., in 1782 and located half a mile east of the village; he was a leading citizen and had a large family of children, who removed away in later years. Captain Seth, jr., succeeded to the homestead and removed to Chautauqua county, N. Y., about 1831.

      Joel SIMONDS came from Massachusetts about 1780; he was father of a large family and died in 1821. He lived on the BIGART place and kept a tavern there, afterward removing to the place now owned by Ossian SIMONDS. Joel, jr., succeeded to the homestead; was a leading citizen and gave his nine children unusual educational advantages; he died in 1850. Colonel Benjamin SIMONDS, a brother of the senior Joel, was in command of the military post in this town in 1777.

      Captain Nathaniel SMITH came here with several brothers at an early day. He was in the Legislature in 1795-96, and died in 1807. His brothers left the town early. Captain Benoni SMITH settled in 1781 where Marshall Brown lives. He was the means of bringing a large number of settlers to the town and contributed in other ways to the growth of the place. He built a grist and sawmill on his premises soon after his arrival, and died in 1799. His son, Josiah, settled where Horatio HOLLISTER lives and was a leading citizen and the father of ten children. Another son, Reuben, located near his father, and kept one of the early taverns.

      Captain John STARK came here prior to 1770; was a leading citizen and a large landholder and settled on the farm of Mr. HAMMOND; he was a cousin of General STARK and commanded a company in tile battle of Hubbardton; was one of the first judges appointed in the State (in 1788). He removed to Grand Isle about 1800 and was soon afterward instantly killed by the kick of a horse.

      Peter STEVENS came from Glastenbury, Conn., in 1783 and located where Myron SHAW lives; was one of a family of fourteen children, and died in 1838. His brother Jonathan located in that vicinity and was considered the father of the woolen manufacturing business of the town. In 1812, he, in company with John STRONG, erected the first woolen-mill in town at West Pawlet. In 1832, he built a large mill on Pawlet River, which was burned about 1850. He then removed to Granville where he operated a mill several years and was succeeded by his son, Robert R. He died in 1865. Another brother in this family succeeded to his father's estate and built the mansion now occupied by Mr. Shaw. He removed to Granville about 1852.

      Return STRONG came from Suffield, Conn., in 1784 and died in this town in 1807. His son Phineas settled at the village and carried on a mercantile business, gaining the esteem of his townsmen; he was sent to the Legislature two years and died in 1839. Phineas's son, Martin D., succeeded to his father's business, was postmaster four years and town clerk six years. He removed to Michigan in 1854. Return STRONG, jr., also carried on mercantile business at the village; was in the Legislature three years and deputy sheriff several years.

      Captain Timothy STRONG came from Connecticut about 1810; became a very enterprising citizen and was instrumental in starting the breeding of Merino sheep in this town. John STRONG, from Glastenbury, settled at West Pawlet and was engaged in woolen manufacture. He removed to Sandy Hill, N. Y.

      Samuel TAYLOR was one of the early blacksmiths at the village and followed the occupation some fifty years. He was from Springfield, Mass., in 1780, and lived on the place now occupied by Earl DANFORTH. He had five sons, all brought up to the same business. He died in 1844.

      Josiah TOBY came from Falmouth, Mass., in 1783 and settled in the north part of the town. He was father of seven children and died in 1843. Colonel Josiah, jr., succeeded to the homestead; held the office of justice and was much esteemed. He died in 1863. Reuben TOBY, from the same place in the same year, settled three miles north of the village; was one of the first deacons of the Baptist Church and removed to Pittsford, N. Y., in 1850.

      Seth VIETS came from Granby, Conn., in 1780 and settled in the west part of the town; he died in 1823 and his son of the same name succeeded to the homestead and had a large family.

      Alpheus WADE came from Rhode Island in 1785 and settled near the center of the town. He was the father of a large family to whom he gave exceptional educational advantages; they all removed from the town.

      David WEEKS, from Hardwick, Mass, in 1801, settled south of the village and conducted a tannery more than fifty years, the latter part of the time with his sons, Rich and Seth B. His son Salmon carried on tanning for a time at the village. Samuel WEEKS also come from Hardwick in 1801, spent his life and raised a large family in the town.

      Daniel WELCH, from Norwich, Conn., was one of the earliest settlers in the town and located on the present town farm; he removed to Mendon, N. Y., in 1822.

      Edmund WHEDON, one of the substantial citizens of the town, came here from Connecticut in 1787, locating where John AYRES now lives. He was an enterprising man and contributed largely to the advancement of West Pawlet, where he erected some of the first mills in the town; he removed to Cayuga county, N. Y., in 1815. His brother Ansel settled south of Edmund and accumulated a large property; he died in 1826. David WHEDON settled on the Edmund WHEDON homestead and was an esteemed citizen; he died in 1858. His son, David, jr., kept a store at the village from 1843 to 1854, the latter part of the time with Hiram WICKHAM, and removed to Albion in the last named year.

      Isaac WICKMAN, from Glastenbury, settled in the town in 1799, and became a man of commanding influence; lie died in 1835. His son, Hiram, was town clerk many years and a director in the Battenkill Bank.

      On an earlier page, we have briefly alluded to Jonathan WILLARD, one of the proprietors of the town. Of his sons, Colonel Samuel and family left the town and settled mostly in northern New York. Joseph died in 1829. His son, Andrew, passed a long life in the town. Silas WILLARD settled at the village, but died in Granville, N. Y., in 1859.

      Andrew WINCHESTER came from New Lebanon, Conn., in 1786 and settled where Norman WINCHESTER now lives; Norman is his son. Joel was another son, who was an estimable citizen of the town and died in 1 846.

      David WOOD, from Plymouth, Mass., in 1792, located near where Silas WOOD now lives, and died in 1836. His Son, Luther B., succeeded to the homestead and had a numerous family; he died in 1865.

      Henry WOOSTER, from Connecticut, settled where John WISEMAN now lives, in 1780; he died in about 1820, leaving two sons, Henry and Amos; the latter succeeded to the homestead and had a family of twelve children.  He died in 1836.  Samuel WRIGHT settled early in the town and was a noted hunter and trapper. His son, Samuel, jr., settled near his father and became an influential man. He built a linseed oil-mill in 1814, and removed to Michigan about 1850.

      The foregoing embrace most of the names of those to whose efforts in the early years the present generation are indebted for the building up of the town and the advancement of all of its varied interests. Of others who settled inthe town of whom still briefer mention must suffice, were the following: Harvey BAKER, who came from Arlington about 1826, and kept a store south of the village with Dr. Nathan JUDSON, and afterwards at the village; removed to Oswego, N. Y.  Lemuel BARDEN, who came from Dighton, Mass., about 1814 succeeded Ephraim FITCH in the brick hotel at the village, which he kept until about 1830; he died in 1869.  Consider S. BARDWELL, from Shelburn, Mass., in 1834, became one of the leading farmers of the town.  Robert BLAKELY, who came into the town about 1832, without capital, and by close application to the woolen manufacturing industry acquired a competency. 

      Captain Jeremiah BUSHEE, a tailor of the village more than forty years; was selectman ten years and much respected.  Horace CLARK settled in the mercantile business in the village in 1829; was postmaster four years and a leading citizen.  Rufus P. CONANT, from Enfield, N. H., 1811, settled at West Pawlet and was engaged in the cloth-dressing business; removed to Wisconsin.  Nathaniel Hill, who came from New York city, lived mostly in tire village and died in 1830; his son, of the same name, spent his life in the village.  Ashbel HURLBUT came here in 1810 and was a respected citizen and devoted to the cause of education; he died in 1828.  Captain James JONES, from Granville, settled at West Pawlet, where he passed his long life.  Joseph JONES, an early settler from Greenwich, Mass., died in 1816; his son of the same name passed a useful life ill the town.  George H. PURPLE kept a store in tire village in connection with Reed EDGERTON, closing in 1830; he removed to Ohio.

      Following the war of the Revolution and settlement of all local difficulties, the inhabitants of this town, in common with those of other localities, turned their undivided attention to the improvement of their homes and the development of business. This continued without serious interruption until the events which led to the War of 1812 created a feeling of uneasiness in this locality; and when the war came, the inhabitants of Pawlet did not hesitate to take up arms against their old enemy, Great Britain. In Mr. HOLLISTER's history of the town he gives the names of thirty-five citizens of the town who went into the army in that struggle, several of whom held important offices.

      Agriculture was, of course, the chief occupation of the early settlers; but the prosperity of the entire State received a severe check by the remarkable cold summer of 1816, in which there was frost every month in the year and crops were almost a total failure. There was considerable suffering in this town; but it was greatly mitigated by the generosity of the benevolent, who aided their poorer neighbors.

      The early inhabitants made wheat--- growing their principal agricultural pursuit for a number of years; but this gave way to the coarser grains, which yielded more abundant harvests; the working up of these led to the introduction of distilleries, which, with the manufacture of potash, received considerable attention in this town; they were the earliest manufactures. The growing of sheep gave a large wool product and the introduction of carding-achines and cloth-ressing machines followed; one of the latter was running inWest Pawlet by Walter JENNINGS as early as 1812. Jonathan STEVENS and John STRONG built a woolen factory at West Pawlet in 1812, the first in town, and fuling-mills were in operation, probably before that time at the village. Other factories and mills have been noted in our mention of the early settlers. There have been in all seven grist-mills in town; the first on Wells Brook, built by Remember BAKER about 1768; the next one at the village about the same time, built by William BRADFORD; the next built by Colonel Samuel WILLARD on the site of the "Red mill" in 1783; another on the Pawlet River by Captain Benoni SMITH ; the next built by William HANKS about 1790 near the Frary bridge; the next located near where Smith HITT lived, built by Seth BLOSSOM, Ashbel HOLLISTER and Safford HASCALL ; and one at West Pawlet, built by Edmund WHEDON. There have also been six or eight saw-mills in the town.

      There were trip hammers in early years on Wells Brook, by William MAHER; on Flower Brook, by Nathaniel ROBINSON; and on Indian River by C. S. BARDWELL, the latter for the making of edge tools.

      There have been five distilleries in town, operated respectively by Dorastus FITCH, at the village; by Theron NORTON at West Pawlet; one by Leonard UTLEY; one near the center of the town by John EDGERTON, and one by a Mr. SAVAGE; all abandoned many years ago.

      Hats were manufactured in the village by Major Sylvanus Gregory and his son, Silas, and a stocking factory was operated by Ira MARKS.  Palmer CLEVELAND & Sons introduced extensive machinery for dressing hemp and flax and did a large business for several years. A mill for making potato starch was built by Ira MARKS on Indian River about 1843. Nearly all of these manufacturing operations have, by the changes in demand and supply, in processes of manufacture and through railroad communication with distant markets, been abandoned.

      In November, 1814, was incorporated the Pawlet Manufacturing Company, the corporators being John GUILD, Ozias CLARK, John PENFIELD, jr., Jonathan ROBINSON, Nathaniel ROBINSON, jr., William C. ROBINSON, Napthali GUILD, David RICHARDSON, D. WILMARTH and Daniel FITCH.  In 1815 the company erected a large building, seventy by thirty-six feet and three stories high, for the manufacturing of cotton cloth. 860 spindles and sixteen looms were employed. A store was connected with the factory; but the enterprise failed within a few years and the machinery was taken away, and the building demolished.

      The Flower Brook Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1836 for the manufacture of woolen goods. A large building was erected at the village and ample machinery introduced. The factory was operated by agents five or six years, when John M. CLARK bought out the stock-holders, ran the factory a year or two, when it finally failed. This building was also taken down and the machinery sold.


      In matters of education of the young, this town has shown creditable interest. There have been seventeen school districts in the town; but at the present time there are only fifteen and schools kept in but eleven of these. A commodious brick edifice was erected near the village for the establishment of a grammar school and the higher branches were taught there until 1845, when the building was burned. Among its preceptors were Messrs. BARBER, SMITH, MEEKER, Ira M. ALLEN, Mervin ALLEN, John STUART and Lamson MINER. When the Methodist Church on the hill was vacated by the society in 1854 it was fitted up for an academy, with Rev. Jason F. WALKER as its first principal. The present academy was erected about 1869, at a cost of $4,500, and is located at West Pawlet. This institution has been of great value to the cause of education. A. H. COOK is at present at the head of the institution. About seventy-four pupils attend it, on the average.


      The First Congregational Church of Pawlet was organized. August 8, 1781, under the auspices of Rev. David W. PERRY, with six members. Dr. Lewis BEEBE, then of Arlington, was the first settled pastor, being ordained June 15, 1787. The First Church was erected about 1785, and when this became too small for the needs of the society, another and more commodious edifice was erected on the hill north of the village; this stood until about 1842. At about this time the present edifice was erected. The Rev I. W. PEACH is the present pastor of the society.

      The First Baptist Church (located at West Pawlet) was organized on the first Monday in May, 1790, by its first pastor, Elder BROWN. In the year 1800 a church was erected by tile West Pawlet Meeting-house Company. Elder Isaac BEALL was settled over the church in 1801 and in the following year a parsonage was built. This society was dissolved in 1831.

      The Methodist Episcopal Church at Pawlet was organized in 1826, though a class was in existence before the beginning of the present century. The society was organized with about one hundred members, by Rev. Daniel BRAYTON. At about the same time the brick church was erected near the cemetery. In 1853 the present structure was built at a cost of $5,000, and the society is flourishing. Rev. F. CAMERON is the present pastor.

      The Second Baptist Church in the town was organized in 1826. This society owed its origin to the fact that tile First Baptist Church (from which its first members came) had not for years been in fellowship with any other body.  About the year 1848 the organization dissolved and in 1852 the present society was organized under the auspices of Elder A. WAIT. The church was built the same year and was used until 1880, when it was burned, and the present edifice erected in 1881. The society is at present ministered to by Rev. A. G. CHICK, of Hebron, N. Y., who preaches on Sabbath afternoons.

      Protestant Methodist Church. --This society was organized in 1832, on Pawlet Mountain. It continued in existence about twenty-three years, when it was dissolved on account of the removal of many of its prominent members.

      In 1831, a society called the Church of the Disciples was formed under the guidance of Elder Worden P. REYNOLDS. In 1847, they built a church at West Pawlet where meetings have been held since, but not with regularity.

      The Welsh residents of this town have a Presbyterian society and erected a church in 1882. A preacher from Granville ministers to the congregation. Another society composed of this nationality is Congregational in creed and have services in the academy.


      Of the early physicians in this town we may mention Eliel TODD and Abishai MOSELEY, who were probably the first. Dr. Jonathan SAFFORD succeeded them, coming from Bennington in 1793; he continued in successful practice until his death in 1821. He had a large family.  Drs. Lemuel, and Cyrus CHIPMAN were the first physicians in the south part of the town and were eminent in their profession; both removed from the town. Dr. John SARGENT, from Mansfield, Conn., came into this town in 1798, as the successor of Lemuel CHIPMAN and became distinguished in practice; he was the first president of the first Rutland County Medical Society; was captain of the Light Artillery of 1802 and promoted to the rank of colonel; was in the Legislature in 1803; died in 1843.  Dr. John SARGENT, jr., practiced several years here and in adjoining towns.  Dr. Samuel POTTER practiced here and in Wells several years at an early date and was very skillful.  Dr. Warren A. COWDRY practiced here in 1815; removed to Leroy, N. Y., and espoused Mormonism.  Dr. John L. CHANDLER was here for a time, and Dr. James H. WILLARD practiced here a few years ago and removed to Ohio in 1830. Isaac MONROE, Aaron GOODSPEED, Charles HOUGHTON, Phineas STRONG, jr., all practiced here for longer or shorter periods. Dr. Rensselaer G. MONROE came from Granville in 1853 and practiced until 1866 at West Pawlet; he removed to Rutland. Dr. A. Sidney HOUGHTON came from Ellisburg, N. Y., in 1844 and settled at the village where he practiced many years; he was in the Legislature in 1861-62.

      The present physicians are Drs. Warren B. SARGENT and H. L. MANCHESTER. The former is a son of Dr. John SARGENT and was born in June, 1803, in this town. He studied with the Vermont Academy of Medicine as it was then styled, and with private practitioners; received his diploma November 14, 1825; began practice in Michigan in 1827 and came to Pawlet in 1830. He has been very successful in his profession and enjoys the unqualified confidence of the community.

      Dr. H. L. MANCHESTER was born in Hampton, Washington county, N. Y., December 28, 1855; was educated at Castleton Seminary and studied medicine with Dr. WAKEFIELD, of Fairhaven, and in the University of New York, graduating in 1879. He began practice in Pawlet in June, 1879.

      Dr. J. B. GILMAN, of West Pawlet, was born in February, 1852, in Salem, Washington county, N. Y.; studied three years with Dr. Leroy Mclean, of Troy; was two years in the Albany Medical College and graduated at the University of Vermont; was given his diploma in June, 1884; came to Pawlet in June, 1885.


      The legal profession in this town in early years was represented by such then as Jonathan BRACE, Israel SMITH, Noah SMITH and Truman SQUIER. Jonathan BRACE was a conspicuous citizen and an able lawyer; but returned to Connecticut in a few years. Israel SMITH removed to Rutland and Noah SMITH to Bennington. Truman SQUIER removed to Manchester after some twenty years practice here. Daniel CHURCH practiced law here for a time, as did also Nathaniel HUNT and Nathaniel HAMBLIN, both of whom removed to Ohio.  Nathaniel HARMON was one of the leading lawyers of the county and practiced in this town more than forty years. He might have held high office, but his tastes did not lead him into the political field. He died in 1845. Dr. Oliver L. HARMON was his son, and George W., another son, became an attorney and removed to Bennington.

      Fayette POTTER, born September 1, 1823, was educated at Union College. He studied law with George W. HARMON and was admitted to practice in 1847; since that date he has been in successful business in Pawlet.

      J. B. BROMLEY was in practice in Pawlet a number of years and with him D. W. BROMLEY, born July 20, 1837, studied the profession. He was admitted in March, 1859. His failing health has forced him to relinquish active practice.

      Present Town Officers. -- Town clerk, O. BUSHEE; treasurer, F. S. WEED; selectmen, M. C. JONES, M. BROWN and D. W. BROMLEY; constable and collector, E. I. VAIL; second constable, Wayland JOHNSON; listers, L. JOHNSON, Olin PARRIS, J. M. SHAW; auditors, A. S. WHITCOMB, D. W. BROMLEY, S. S. BROWN; trustee, Fayette POTTER; fence viewers, James GOODSPEED, Frank, VAIL, Arthur TAYLOR; town grand jurors, George KNIGHT, George W. BEECHER; inspector of leather, W. B. MILLER; pound-keeper, George W. KNIGHT; surveyor of wood and shingles, Orla LOOMIS; town agent, Leonard JOHNSON; superintendent of schools, Helen M. BROMLEY.

      The following figures show the population of this town at the different dates given: 1791, 1,458; 1800, 1,938; 1810, 2,233; 1820, 2,155; 1830, 1,965; 1840, 1,748; 1850, 1,843; 1860, 1,559; 1870, 1,505; 1880, 1,698.

In the Rebellion

      This town was represented in nearly every organization that went out of the State to aid in suppressing the Southern Rebellion, and in many New York State regiments. These volunteers nobly sustained the patriot teachings of the forefathers, and did their share in sustaining the principles of the government in its time of trial. The following record shows the names of the volunteers of this town in Vermont regiments, as nearly correct as it can now be made: --

      Volunteers for three years credited previous to the call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17, 1863. -- John ADAMS, co. E, 7th regt.; Michael AGAN, co. G, 7th regt.; Thomas AGAN, capt. 20th Mass.; Isaac H. ALEXANDER, co. G, 5th regt.; Merritt C. BARRETT, Royal C. BOSTWICK, co. H, cav.; Harvey C. BEEBE, .co. D, 7th regt.; Hiram BLOSSOM, co. C, 2d regt.; Noble C. BOSTWICK, co, E, 5th regt.; Charles W. BOURNE, Leroy S. BUSHIE, co. C, 11th regt.; David BUFFARN, co. B, 9th regt.; Willard COMSTOCK, co. D, 7th regt.; Simon E. COOK, co. C, 11th regt.; Miles H. DELONG, Frederick FOLGER, co. E, 5th regt.; John M. FRISBIE, co. B, 9th regt.; Robert GALLOP, co. D, 7th regt.; James R. GIBBS, ,co. E, 2d s. s.; Sheldon A. HALL, co. I, 5th regt.; Francis D, HAMMOND, co. I, 5th regt.; George G. HANKS, co. 1, 7th regt.; Justin W. HARWOOD, co. C, 2d regt.; James HOY, co. C, 10th regt.; Charles B. HYDE, co. 11, 2d s. s.; George JOHNSON, co. M, 11th regt.; James LACKEY, co. E, 5th regt.; Charles M. KINGSLEY, Patrick MCGRATH, Thomas C. MOSIER, co. D, 7th regt.; John MCGRATH, co. H, 2d s. s.; Sylvanus MCWAIN, co. D, 7th regt.; Atherton MONROE, co. H, 2d s. s.; Asa L. MONROE, co. L, 11th regt.; Francis MURRAY, Calvin S. NICHOLS, co. I:, 5th regt.; Edward NYE, co. B, 9th regt.; Chauncey H. ROBINSON, co. D, 7th regt.; Charles SCOTT, John SCOTT, Amyel B. SEARLES, Oliver SEARLES, co. E, 5th regt.; Francis R. SHAW, co. C, 11 th regt.; George W. TAYLOR, co. B, 2d regt.; Chipman J. TOBEY, co. H, 2d s. s.; Chester M. VAIL, co. D, 7th regt.; Daniel D. WARREN, Ira C. WARREN, co. H, cav.; George M. WARREN, co. H, 2d s. s.; Edwin L. WATERS, co. C, 11th regt.; Benjamin R. WHEELER, co. B, 2d regt.; John WHEELER, co. C, 5th regt.; James W. WHITE, co. H, cav.; Reuben H. WILLIAMS, Henry C. WOOD, Martin P. WOOD, co. 13, 2d regt.; Willard WOOD, co. C, 10th regt.; Austin E. WOODMAN, co. I, 7th regt.; Stephen WOODS, co. K, 2d regt.; Augustus L. WRIGHT, co. E, 5th regt.

      Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls. -- Volunteers for three years: John CRAWFORD, co. C, 3d regt.; James L. HALL, co. H, 7th regt.; Daniel H. HALL, jr., co. G, 11 th regt.; Otis W. HARWOOD, 1st bat.; Edmund HIX, 2d bat.; Chester O. HULETT, 1st. bat.; John O. HUMPHREY, co. H, 9th regt.; Alson L. KITCHELL, co. I, 7th regt.; William F. LOOMIS, John MCGRATH, 1st. bat.; Wyman C. MCOMBER, co. L, t 11th regt.; Joel A. MASON, co. I, 17th regt.; William MCKELVEY, John PENTONY, co. I, 7th regt.; Herbert PERHAM, 1st. bat.; Keyes POTTER, co. K, 7th regt.; Colba REED, co. H, 7th regt.; Elbridge I. REED, 11th regt.; Benjamin B. ROYALS, co. I, 7th regt.; James SHERIDAN, 1st bat.; James H. SMITH, co. C, 11th regt.; John SMITH, co. G, 11th regt.; William TOWN, co. K, 7th regt.; Henry TOWSLEE, 1st bat.; George WILLIAMS, 3d regt.

      Volunteers for one year. -- John CONLIN, co. 13, 7th regt.; Baptiste LASSOR, co. G, 2d regt.; Vetal LASSOR, co. A, 2d regt.; Mark S. MOORE, cav.; Charles RUSSELL, 11th regt.; Henry H. THOMPSON, co. D, 7th regt.

      Volunteers re-enlisted. -- Michael AGAN, co. D, 7th regt.; William H. BELDING, co. G, cav.; Hiram BLOSSOM, Co. C, 2d regt.; Noble C. BOSTWICK, co. E, 5th regt.; Justus W. HARWOOD, co. C, 2d regt.; Charles M. KINGSLEY, Patrick MCGRATH, Sylvanus MCWAIN, Chauncey H. ROBINSON, Chester M. VAIL, co. D, 7th regt.; John R. WILKINS, co. E, 5th regt.  Not credited by name --Three men.

      Volunteers for nine months. -- Charles BARRETT, co. K, 12th regt.; John H. BLACK, Robert F. BLACK, Adoniram J. BLAKELEY, Andrew J. BLOWERS, Orlando BUSHEE, James W. GUILD, Alonzo V. GUILDER, Walace S. GUILDER, Albert E. HOLLISTER, Francis S. HOLLISTER, Willis C. HOLLISTER, co. B, 14th regt.; Sewell F. HOWARD, co. K, 14th regt.; Warner E. HUELETT, Eugene LITTLE, Samuel W. NELSON, Levi PATTERSON, Herbert PERHAM, George O. SIMONDS, Judson SMITH, Martin SMITH, Charles P. TAYLOR, Charles W. TOWSLEY, William C. WEEKS, Ahira E. WOOD, William H. WOOD, co. B, 14th regt.

      Furnished under draft. -- Paid commutation, Seth E. CULVER, Ogden FISHER, Levi HANKS, F. M. HOLLISTER, Levi PARIS, Michael QUINLAN, Warren RICE, Joel. S. WILCOX.  Procured substitute: J. McD. ANDRUS, Reuben DILLINGHAM, Jesse C. GRAY, Jacob MCFADDEN, Charles H. RUSSELL.

Municipal History

      The largest village in this town is Pawlet (or "Algiers," as it is frequently called), which is situated on Pawlet River near the junction of Flower Brook, a little south of the center of the town. We have already spoken of the early settlers at this point and many of the business then of past years. The place was once of considerable commercial and manufacturing importance and, it is said, did more business in 1830 than was done at Rutland; a state of affairs that has been greatly changed by the influence of railroads on the latter village. Among the early merchants were William FITCH, Joel HARMON, Ephraim FITCH, Dorastus and Silas FITCH, Phineas and Return STRONG, HART & JUDSON, Reed EDGERTON, George H. PURPLE, Horace CLARK, Russel C. WHEELER, Harvey BAKER, William WALLACE, T. J. SWALLOW, George EDGERTON, Martin D. STRONG, David WHEDON, jr., Hiram WICKHAM, William SHELDON, John ALLEN, and perhaps a few others.

      The oldest merchants at present doing business in the village are D. H. & A. L. BROMLEY. The former began trade here in 1853, in the building now used by Mr. HUELETT as a tin shop. The junior member came in the firm in 1862.  W. RICE has kept a general store since 1870, and has occupied his present location four years. M. V. B. LEACH has been in trade as a general merchant since March, 1879; and S. S. SNELL since March, 1885, when he bought out William MASON, who had traded about a year. Charles E. TAYLOR started in general trade about two years ago. D. B. WHITCOMB carries on the grocery business and has for eleven years past; has occupied his present location four years. O. BUSHEE is one of the older merchants and has carried a stock of drugs and groceries since about 1865. Q. A. PRATT began the grocery and hardware trade, which lie continued about a year, and changed to drugs in June, 1883. H. E. DAMON has kept a jewelry store since October, 1884, succeeding D. A. PARKER, who has been in business about six years. Fayette HULETT and his brother Chester began in the tin and hardware business in 1866; Fayette bought his brother's interest in the fall of 1885. William B. Miller does the harness making for the place.

      We have mentioned the old hotel built by Ephraim FITCH early in the century. This was the forerunner of the present Franklin House, and was next kept by Lemuel BARDEN for many years; he transferred it to Deacon GRISWOLD. Others who have kept the house were Ephraim F. CLARK, Robert CLARK, Harrison VAIL, Chapin ANDRUS, D. B. HULETT, who was succeeded by the present landlord, D. W. BROMLEY, in 1867. The Crescent Valley House was completed in the spring of 1884, by Amos G. LEACH and John R. CARP0; it is chiefly for the accommodation of summer guests.

      There is not much manufacturing now existing in this town.  F. HAMMOND runs the grist-mill at this village, on the site where Ephraim FITCH built the first mill in the town, as before related; and the saw-mill, which was an old one when Silas GREGORY ran it forty years ago, is now operated by S. P, ANDRUS. J. ROBINSON established a carriage factory here in 1850, which he still carries on. The fork handle and baby carriage stock factory, now conducted by M. P. DAMON & Co. (Lee SIMONDS), was established by Mr. DAMON in 1873; it is on the site of the old Lumbard woolen-mill, and turns out in the neighborhood of 60,000 fork handles and stock for 30,000 baby carriages annually. 

      The woolen-factory of E. COLVIN (formerly operated by the Pawlet Woolen Company) is located two miles south of the village. The first company was organized in 1846 by Asa JONES, and reorganized in 1877.  About 25,000 pounds of wool are made into cloth annually. Other minor manufactures of the town, which may as well receive attention here, are the grist-mill of F. S. WEED, which is operated by Charles CLARK. It was built in 1879 by John ADAMS, who transferred it to LEACH & CRAPO, and then to Dwight PARKER, who sold to Mr. WEED.  W. B. WOODARD built a saw-mill in the west part of the town in 1881, and still runs it.  BLAKELY's cheese factory was built by Frank BLAKELY about ten years ago and he has operated it since; it uses the milk of about 400 cows. The Pawlet cheese factory, at Pawlet, is now carried on by Carlton MARKS; it was established in 1865 by R. C. WICKHAM and has. been successfully conducted. The Leach cheese factory, now run by William LEACH, is in the south part of the town and is smaller than the others mentioned.

      The slate interest of this town is of considerable importance. The DILLINGHAM quarry, at West Pawlet, was opened by Howell DILLINGHAM in 1877-78;. employs about ten men and produces sea-green roofing slate of good quality. The BROWNELL Slate and Flagging Company's quarry is in the west part of the town and employs about forty men, turning out 800 squares of roofing and 3,000 feet of flagging per month. RISING & NELSON's quarries at West Pawlet, four in number, employ about eighty-five men. They began the business about 1876, their product being sea-green roofing slate. The firm has also a quarry of red slate in Granville. Hugh W. HUGHES owns and operates five quarries in the town, which he leased in 1878, succeeding Evan J. JONES &. BARNARD, who had been engaged in the business about three years. George BARNARD had bought property of Howard EVANS, who, after Griffith LLOYD, was the pioneer in the business. Mr. HUGHES employs from fifty to sixty men, produces the green slate, but deals in all shades. All of the slate industry is located at West Pawlet. (See Chapter XIII.)

      The post-office at Pawlet was established early in the history of the town. Dorastus FITCH was postmaster in 1814, and George PURPLE probably succeeded him. Horace CLARK then had the office, and as late as 1828. Then followed Daniel TAYLOR, Porter FITCH, Martin D. STRONG, Charles POTTER, James RICE and Orlando PUSHEE, who kept the office from about 1876 to 1885. The present official is C. E. TAYLOR.

      West Pawlet. -- This is a hamlet and station on the Rutland and Washington railroad and situated in the extreme west part of the town, across a portion of which the road passes. The post-office here was first kept by Orson F. BETTS about 1854 for a short time, and he was followed by M. V. B. PRATT for about six years; then J. A. ORR took the office for about three years; F. JOHNSON six or seven years; then G. W. BEECHER until the advent of the present official, M. V. B. PRATT, who began his second term October 1, 1885.

      RISING & NELSON, mentioned in connection with the slate industry, have kept a store here since March, 1874; they built the store they occupy. James F. BRAYMER was a junior partner the first three years. Florace JOHNSON began general trade here nearly ten years ago. A. P. BULL began grocery trade in April, 1882, and built the block a part of which he occupies. M. V. B. PRATT, the oldest merchant here, began trade about 1854 and is still in business. George R. Pratt deals in jewelry and fancy goods; has been in business two and a half years and occupied his present store in October, 1885. G. W. BEECHER and brother (D. O. BEECHER) began the tin manufacturing business in September, 1874, the first named being alone until 1883, when his brother joined him.

      David WOODARD kept the hotel in the large building until about 1878 for a number of years - about twenty-five. This house is not now kept. The Nelson House is kept by F. J. NELSON, who opened it in April, 1885; he had kept hotel in the large building mentioned about a year previous.

History of Rutland County Vermont: With Illustrations & 
Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men And Pioneers
Edited by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann
Syracuse, N. Y., D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
(pages 697-719)

Transcribed by Karima